Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menus Greyed Out in Photoshop.

Discussion in 'Adobe' started by tdgraphics, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Hi,

I am very new to photoshop but I notice that a lot of the menus within the filter drop down are greyed out.

I have been trying to do the following tutorial:

http://www.photoshopcafe.com/tutorials/diamonds/diamonds.htm

But Filter / Render / Clouds, the Clouds is greyed out.

On Filter / Distort / Glass, the Distort is greyed out, I cannot even see Glass.

Have I set up my version incorrectly or something as I cannot access more than 50% of the filters that are available.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Neil

Tags:
  2. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    Which color mode is your document based?

Most filters will be available in RGB-based layouts.

Various filters are greyed out if you are working in CMYK, L*a*b, greyscale, duotone or 16-bit per channel operation.

3. Thanks for that,

Changed to RGB and then 8 bit and all now available.

Thanks again.

4. Bobby H

Bobby H Very Active Member

Feb 4, 2005
    Lawton, OK
    If you're designing your layout for printed output (like on an inkjet printer, solvent-based billboard printer, etc.) be sure to keep your colors within the gamut range of CMYK. RGB has a wider gamut range than CMYK, meaning a lot of colors in RGB are far more brilliant than printer inks can produce. If your layout is for something computer screen based, such as a web page, don't worry about it. Monitors are RGB-based.

One thing you can do is turn on the Gamut Warning feature (view menu, gamut warning). That will make a lot of out of gamut colors show up with a grey overlay (or whatever warning color you choose for the gamut warning setting).

5. Thanks Bobby for your comments, much appreciated. What I intend to do, is convert the image back to CMYK before printing.

At present I am trying to find my feet as I only recently purchased Photoshop, I have been mainly in the cut vinyl sign business, but invested in a 54" printer / cutter for a specific job, then I wanted to progress further and purchased Illustrator / Photoshop CS2.

I recently did some work for a auto distributor here in Ireland using Photoshop and they were impressed, I even impressed myself. So I am trying other things now.

Thanks again for the comments, this board seems very helpful to newbies like myself.

Neil