• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Merchant Banners Have Been Replaced by Merchant Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
This is to let anyone interested know that the merchant banners which have appeared at the bottom of our pages for almost five years are no longer there. All current Merchant Member subscribers are now listed in our Merchant Member Directory Forum. You can view all current merchant listed in the Merchant Members Directory.

There were several reasons for making this change. Among the more important of these are:
  • More information can now be displayed about the merchant including products and services offered and a link to the user name of the merchant.
  • Merchants who never supplied us a banner are now listed.
  • Due to it's nature, merchant names are searchable. This was not the case with the old setup
  • Access to the Merchant Directory is easier because it is now listed on the Main Menu
  • All page load times should be improved because merchant banners are no longer loaded
The Merchant Member Directory Forum is located in the first group of open forums named General Topics and can be viewed by all members and visitors. Because it is a directory, it is a non-discussion forum.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Whats A Banner Swap

Website A and website B each post a banner for the other that is linked. Each benefits from traffic generated by the other. It's a quid pro quo arrangement that benefits both and has no costs. Each of the three websites displayed in our footer is displaying a banner in return.

killergraphics

Hi Fred
This is Johnny at Killer Graphics
Luv the new look...but I hate being shoved in a draw as a MM.
If you have done all you can on your end about the speed of page loading it is very little you need to do on our end for the few that still have slow computers, they are used to it.
We all know that the world is visual, I think that it is why we all are in this business, and now with out being displayed where everyone can see a picture. Is this an ebay attempt to not let anyone go outside of the site? I'm just not sure how this is going to work for me as a MM.
My banner had a pict of a t-shirt now I'm just another "graphics" word listing. Is there a way to put a word or 2 beside of the names?
How much more will it cost now to have a picture display at the bottom and I do understand that the site needs more money.
Please let me know.
I would also link Signs 101 on my site.

Drip Dry

I like it.
Seems more organized. Everything is in one place and can see a brief description of each MM.
For instance, I had no idea what Gino did before.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Hi Fred
This is Johnny at Killer Graphics
Luv the new look...but I hate being shoved in a draw as a MM.
If you have done all you can on your end about the speed of page loading it is very little you need to do on our end for the few that still have slow computers, they are used to it.
We all know that the world is visual, I think that it is why we all are in this business, and now with out being displayed where everyone can see a picture. Is this an ebay attempt to not let anyone go outside of the site? I'm just not sure how this is going to work for me as a MM.
My banner had a pict of a t-shirt now I'm just another "graphics" word listing. Is there a way to put a word or 2 beside of the names?
How much more will it cost now to have a picture display at the bottom and I do understand that the site needs more money.
Please let me know.
I would also link Signs 101 on my site.

First off, Signs 101 welcomes any member with a website providing a link to Signs 101, but we are not seeking to enter into any new banner swap arrangements. I am looking at appropriate ways to move the three that are there somewhere else.

Second, we are quite open to merchant subscribers enhancing their listing in the merchant directory. What is currently there is a starting point which can be modified with limited additional graphics and text changed as suits each merchant. The thread titles are limited to text only but can certainly have one or two words added to describe products or services for quicker reference. Bear in mind that the old setup was strictly visual. The current setup makes you information searchable. So in your case, "wholesale screenprinted teeshirts" would return your listing if a member searches for that product or service. You are welcome to simply provide us a list of keywords and they can be inserted in your listing. So now when a member posts asking where to get tees printed, others can reply with your name and a link to your listing, or they can reply with a link to a search result, or they can reply with the suggestion that the OP do a search or his or her own.

I would like to point out though that any and all changes to a merchant's listing must be provided to Bigdawg or myself for prompt insertion.

Third, there are some as of yet unimplemented changes coming to our home page which, we hope, will be of far greater benefit to merchant subscribers than the small linked banners were.

Frankly, the change had nothing to do with the site needing more money or not. It has everything to do with our desire to provide better exposure and a better return on investment to our merchant subscribers than the merchant banner setup could provide. In addition, the banners were effecting site performance and were unsustainable going into the future. But if you want to pay for run of site exposure, and I am not pushing it or promoting it, that is what the paid banner ads are for.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I like it.
Seems more organized. Everything is in one place and can see a brief description of each MM.
For instance, I had no idea what Gino did before.

Exactly ... in fact you had very little way to even know that Gino was offering wholesale services because there was no banner appearing for him.

Drip Dry

Fred,
Is there a way to change the avatar for each MM in the first post of each thread.

What I mean is that all the new threads were started by Bigdawg, so her
avatar appears on each first post.
It would be help full to me if I saw the avatar of the MM instead. Avatars are more recognizable to me than the name of the company.

There are likely members here that I would rather do business with or not, based on their behavior in past posts, and seeing there avatar tells me who they are.

JT

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Fred,
Is there a way to change the avatar for each MM in the first post of each thread.

What I mean is that all the new threads were started by Bigdawg, so her
avatar appears on each first post.
It would be help full to me if I saw the avatar of the MM instead. Avatars are more recognizable to me than the name of the company.

There are likely members here that I would rather do business with or not, based on their behavior in past posts, and seeing there avatar tells me who they are.

JT

Not that I know of but if I find a way to do it I definitely would.

killergraphics

Fred Thank You so much for the added words next to our names. It is just easier to see what each MM does.
Man someone gives you guys an idea and BAM its done.
Thanks
Johnny

Status
Not open for further replies.