• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Mesh Banners and wind load

aerial

QCB
We are installing banners for a print shop who outsources their large format printing. They are ordering mesh banners to install on a tennis court fence. Should they leave a foot or so open at the bottom of the fence for wind? I don't know what mesh they are using. We usually install banners on baseball field fences and tie to the top and bottom rails with out a problem.

The company I ordered zip ties from said 120 lb. ties are standard for wind screen on fences, so that the ties will break before the fence, in a high wind event. A few companies even recommend 50lb. on top and 120lb. on the bottom, allowing the top to break loose. Wind screen fabric is probably stronger than mesh banners though.

We are located in PA, not too many hurricanes here.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
From the printer standpoint, sounds like you are on the right track. Zips should let go before the mesh does. Hopefully the mesh has a 3 layer hem on the perimeter otherwise they're going to have tear outs at the grommets.

aerial

QCB
Thank you. I don't order the banners, just install. However, our customer mostly is a sales person, and doesn't know what they don't know. They just expect me to "make it work".
I am trying to stay ahead of problems by educating my self.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
The 3rd layer on mesh helps avoid a lot of headaches with rip outs. Just that extra meat for the grommets to grab around the perimeter helps a ton.