• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

metal plaque on curved wall

Jean Shimp

I received a request to bid on a metal plaque that will be installed on a curved brick exterior wall. Of course the client doesn't know the radius of the wall. The size of the plaque is about 2'x3'. Is it possible to get a flat plaque with some flexibility to conform to the wall or do we have to have the plaque shaped to match the radius of the wall. What companies can supply this type of plaque? Gemini does not do a radius plaque. Thanks.

2B

use a thin metal and bend it to the radius
or
use a flat plaque and compensate for the radius with different length stand off mounts

DerbyCitySignGuy

Center a six foot level on the curve of the wall. Find the point where the ends of the level are equidistant from the wall. The width of the arc is six feet (your level), the height of the arc is the distance from the ends of the level to the wall. Use those measurements in a radius calculator. Should get you close. Used this method a lot while doing trim carpentry.

2B's method(s) is probably a lot easier though.

Billct2

It would depend on the radius and the type of metal plaque. If the radius is soft and it can be done on a thin metal it should be doable. I have done some things like this by building layers. A piece of black pvc with counter sunk fasteners and then the plate VHB and glued over that can work and look better than just a thin plate.

henryz

Are you doing a cast plaque or just a panel with cut out letters you can easily roll or bent ACM if not an .063 panel with standoffs if the radius is not to sharp. The panel is not to big might be able to mount it straight.

CanuckSigns

if the radius is gentle enough, we have used a standard cast plaque, paint the edges black, and use black caulking to fill the void around the edges, it's a nice clean look, I wouldn't do this if the gap on the sides is greater than 0.5" though or it will start to look messy.

If you are looking to have the plaque cast in a curved shape, I'm sure it can be done by someone, but I don't even want to know how much it might cost!

Here's a pic of a curved ACM sign I did about 8 years ago with gemini aluminum letters attached. the ACM was bent to the wall on site and held in place with VHB tape. silicone and screws with decorative cover heads. We then put the letter template over the ACM and used a centre punch to mark the pin locations so our drill wouldn't slip, the letters were than pin mounted as normal. (Ignore the poor kerning, we were all young once!)

Attachments

• curved.jpg
    curved.jpg
    312.4 KB · Views: 121

Jean Shimp

Center a six foot level on the curve of the wall. Find the point where the ends of the level are equidistant from the wall. The width of the arc is six feet (your level), the height of the arc is the distance from the ends of the level to the wall. Use those measurements in a radius calculator. Should get you close. Used this method a lot while doing trim carpentry.

2B's method(s) is probably a lot easier though.
Very clever - thanks!