• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Methods to remove painted lettering

mfatty500

What other methods are there to try to remove paint from a van that was painted in 1996, beside the Easy-Off method? I don't know what kind of paint it was painted with. For a friend that will remove himself.
Thanks
Mike

TimToad

I'm not sure if any of the citrus based strippers will work, but it's worth a try on a very small area. I'd highly recommend that he or she do it out of direct sun pretest to find out what will work best.

Billct2

They should be prepared for it not to work. With that length of time and background color I don't know anything that would work without marring the finish.

TimToad

Thanks Tim, I should also mention that the base color of the van is red/maroon

Oh no........ 14 years on a dark color? Even under the best conditions, there is going to be some ghosting and fading to deal with. Good luck to them and hope for the best.

mfatty500

No, Tim the van is 24 years old

Attachments

• van.jpg
    van.jpg
    299.5 KB · Views: 191

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Just about anything you do will not only do a lousy job removing the paint, but create one heck of a haze all over. I'd either try to sand it out and make a whole new graphic to encompass the whole area or just do a partial wrap. Paint that old still had a lotta good ingredients in it. Good luck.

Billct2

Wow, that's in great shape. did he keep it inside? In any case, if it were my friend I'd suggest a budget repaint or partial wrap. Either way he can try to remove first, but he risks making it even more work

mfatty500

It appears to be in real great condition, I believe it was always kept indoors, I think they are selling as the owner has passed away and they are downsizing a bit, thanks for tips everybody

visual800

You can try lacquer thinner and see if it eats off the lettering that would be my best bet, dont leave it on too long, but you are definitely going to have ghosting. IMO I would walk from this job and let a body shop handle this

Andy D

I have always heard the old school method was oven cleaner, but I have never used it... I wouldn't touch
a painted vehicle.

decalman

Slap a maroon decal on it,
to make it less noticeable.
People that have these kind of problems are usually not nitpickers. They're happy for some kind of a cheap Improvement, and are easily satisfied.

signbrad

Oven cleaner does work. But it's hard on the paint. It dulls it and can discolor a dark finish. But you can often bring it back with compound on a polishing bonnet. For that matter, I have frequently removed lettering with compound only. On a slower speed. You just need to go carefully to avoid going through to the primer. Removing old lettering with compound will leave the area very shiny.

Brad in Kansas City

Jeremiah

In 1996 that paint was given a forever home with the van body color. Time for a new professional van paint job , if the owner wants it to look good

Gino

Premium Subscriber
^ yep. Or take to an auto body shop to have it sanded off with 2000 grit and polish everything out.

Ya know, that's something we used to do, back in the 70's and 80's, during the van mural craze. We started with gently sanding with 1200 grit paper on a van and put murals on it. All hand painted and airbrushed. While it was sanded, it looked bad, but once we hit it with the final coats of clear, it looked good as new. See, back then, they put a lotta paint on the vehicles and not much clears. Today, it's completely the opposite. 1996 might have enough paint on it to sand it, but ya hafta be very careful, since it's metallic. You cannot feather in metallic.