• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Michigan Newbie, Help me Support Our Troops!

ndemond

Are there any people from your home town of Twin Lakes that are now serving in the military? Find out who and contact the families and friends . The car could represent them and your town.

Marlene

I think that you are trying to do a good thing but not too sure how making a car with all that on it does any good for the troops. Showing signs of support are nice but what are you really doing besides that? Without anything actually going to the troops in the way of actual support, it's kind of like using them to win an event.

Brendan

Man you guys can be pricks sometimes.
Fred offers good constructive advice. Its nice to see a 23 year old that actually has some respect.
Don't be so cynical and point the kid in a good direction.
Sheesh.
stepping off the soapbox now.

Jackpine

Justin...quotes..."but we need more to really speak our message and show our dedication."
What a crock of shyt. WE had our message....served 3 years in the 82nd airborne. One year in Vietnam . No one built a "show car" for any soldier to show support.....join up and that's how you can show your support for YOUR country....grow up and get real.
Guess I'm a prick for airing my opinion.

Marlene

I wasn't trying to be mean. I just believe that putting out symbols of support are nice but really do nothing to actually support the troops. You could sell post cards of the car with all the proceeds going to the USO or some other group that makes up care packages for the the troops or maybe have a bin where people can drop off stuff or donations for these groups would be a way of showing real support. Doing something and running around with symbols are two different things. I don't think using a theme like that with no real support to the troops is right as you are using them to win a prize for yourself no matter what good intentions you may have, that is what really is happening. If you do want to go forward with this, contact your local sign shops as suggested to see if they would like to help you win a prize.

cOrKinSA

... Its nice to see a 23 year old that actually has some respect.
Don't be so cynical and point the kid in a good direction.
Sheesh.
stepping off the soapbox now.
Get back on that box.
When I finished doing my part in Iraq I didn't get a damn thing from all these people that had "We Support our Troops" signs for show of support. I paid for my Bus rides, my motel room, meals, and cab rides at full price just to get home to my family. Then I had a guy that was wearing a what of all things "Support our troops" shirt want to fight with me in a restuarant when I told him to settle down because he was making a ruckus over his beer being warm.
A Support Our Troops Vehicle... Pffft, whatever.

Last edited:

signage

Do you think the bikes that OCC builds are donated! No way someone is paying them big money to build these, that person is the one doing something for organization/charity then they raffle it off and give the proceeds to the event/charity!

Brendan

I think its about freakin time this country rights a lot of the wrongs done in the past. You men and women who have served deserve a whole hell of a lot more than you have received in the past. Especially the Vietnam vets. I remember as a kid, my Dad was stationed at the Naval Hospital in Bethesda Md. I will never forget the guys in that hospital without limbs and all bandaged up. It has never left my mind.
I have and will continue to support vets both past and present. Even if it is just buying a coffee or beer from time to time.
Do people take advantage of the wave of support? Absolutely! OCC has their hands in EVERYONES pockets.
My comments are geared more to the stick in the eye responses I see ALL the time on this board. As Mom always said...if you dont have anything nice to say.....

OldPaint

BRENDAN, i got to see youre wonderful state via THE U.S. MILITARY!!!!
spent 4 yrs at LORING, A.F.B. MAINE(1965-1969) and learned a lot from some people there, good people.
while there i married a "mainiac")))))
took her back to PA that lasted less then a yr we moved back to CARIBOU, MAINE.
so i did another 4 yrs there....heyep i know mainers....))))))))
as for a stick in the eye, his post is a STICK IN MY EYE as a VET, who uses VA HOSPTIALS and see the damage this war has done...AND the young who spout SUPPORT OUR TROOPS, and wont go...
are so full of it.....
so the stick in the eye goes both ways....

jiarby

I supported our troops already this month with some cool recruiting posters...

The design of these posters would make a cool wrap!

Attachments

• Army.JPG
    Army.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 111

Brendan

OP,
Your tour of duty in Caribou/Canada is enough to earn a purple heart. Ahhhhh.
I don't disagree that the ultimate support is to walk the walk.
Many are unable or unwilling to do so. But, rather than piss on the military ala late sixties, it is nice to see support. Perceived or actual.
You have earned your right to lay it out there and I do appreciate your insight.
Now was it the Civil or WWI you served in?

Just kiddin.......

RedWolf

While sending the troops paper, pens, and other usefull stuff DOES help, they DO APPRECIATE seeing something a citizen has done to show their support while at home. You do not have to join to be patriotic or serve the military in some way shape or form. It is called SUPPORT. We all know from the past at how others were treated when they came back from overseas serving our Country, yet aren't you DOING THE SAME THING BY BASHING SOMEBODY'S IDEA TO SUPPORT THE TROOPS? It may be more subtle than what the veterans from the past were subject to, yet it is still disrespectfull. If you are proud of the fact that you served this fine country, then grow up and show some respect to the few that do care about the country by showing support for our troops. Yes, it is something you are not used to based on the way the citizens have treated your own homecoming. Times are changing, so why cant you? The original poster should be thanked for wanting to display a support the troops on his/her car and not bashed about his/her idea.

Note to the original poster..... Really want to support the troops? If your "Show car" dreams become a reality, please donate any and all winnings to an orginasation that helps the troops out in other ways and needs the financial assistance. By signing a pledge to donate winnings, a vinyl shop may be more willing to donate time and materials as well. Support the troops yet please do not disrespect the troops by gaining money from it.

Matt

mountainmang

No I havent, see I dont have a big budget for one and for two I dont know where to look, I was told to post here and see what comes up. any advice?

look for shops in your area that have a sign out front that says "signs" or "graphics" :thumb: also, there is probably a book at your house that is generally yellow in color.... it has a section in the back titled "signs" :thumb:

Joe Diaz

You know what you should do? Buy the materials to do the wrap yourself: vinyl, laminate, squeegees, torch, cleaner, etc. Find a local church group, school, or some non profit youth organization. Hold a design contest. Don’t tell the young artist what to design. When ever you ask for donations you can’t be picky and have them design it the way you want. Just give them a theme, in this case “support our troops”. Then have that same group hand paint the winning design on the vinyl material. Then find a local sign shop and hire them or ask for them to donate their time by applying the laminate to the hand painted vinyl. Then have that same shop or maybe get another shop involved that can install the wrap.

I know if someone local came to me with that idea, I would be on board. I would gladly donate my time. Also if your real motive is to win some sort of car show, what better way to impress the judges then to show them that it isn’t you that is trying to win the award, it is the child that designed the wrap, the children that helped paint the wrap, the local sign shop that installed the wrap, every one that donated time, and most importantly the men and women that risk there live every day for our freedom. On top of that you would be teaching young people in your community about what it means to patriotic. Get your community involved.

So I will donate that idea to you, and.. if you are in our area I will even help install the wrap! But please don’t come on here and ask for one of us to design you a cool wrap to your specifications so you can win some sort of award and use our troops as a gimmick to get what you want, that is totally un-cool. I would like to think that is not your true intentions, and hope that is the case.

cOrKinSA

If you are proud of the fact that you served this fine country, then grow up and show some respect to the few that do care about the country by showing support for our troops...
Matt
Oh wolfie boy you got my blood boiling.
I don't have to show you or anyone here that talks this way about us vets any damn respect. You never saw the shit that went down. You never saw what could only be your best friend that you only knew for a few months while station there not come back. All that shit you see on TV is true. You think it is great to send letters back to your buddies family to tell them the last thing they never said to them on the phone.
"grow up and show some respect ", thats just pathetic.