Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Microsoft Surface

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Doubletake, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Doubletake

Doubletake Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Prince George
    Does anyone use these for design. Do they have the power to run Adobe CS6. Looking for a way to design away from the office. Like the idea of it being smaller than a laptop. Any other ideas appreciated.

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    I use the Cintiq Companion. I have the first version. I believe that they are up to the Companion 2. It runs everything that I've thrown at it (CS6 Master Collection, Wilcom, Blender) without any hiccups. Plus it has all of the wonders of a Cintiq monitor as well built in.

It runs 8.1, which I was a little leary of, but for a tablet it isn't all that bad (contrary to what some naysayers quibble about).

3. aluminumwelder

aluminumwelder Member

Mar 3, 2013
    york, sc
    surface tablets are overpriced overhyped and too tiny I'd get a 13" or 15" ultrabook if I were you.

4. 2CT Media

2CT Media Major Contributor

Jun 15, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    That makes absolutely no sense. Since one he is looking for something smaller than a laptop and two I'm assuming by looking at the surface line he wants to do digital drawing.

5. nate

nate Active Member

May 10, 2007
    Utah
    Surfaces are great. All of our sales guys have one-- they can take it with them everywhere and when back in the office the dock them to use a normal set of screens as well as a keyboard and mouse.

Everyone has Creative Cloud on them-- it works very well

6. Ditchmiester

Ditchmiester Active Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Oswego, IL
    I'd wait until next week when the new Surface Books come out. If you really want the graphical power but still want portability that's the way to go. Gets a dedicated GPU and much better performance running 3d intensive programs.

7. David Wright

David Wright Active Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Wyandotte, Mi
    You'll pay a lot for a little performance increase. At least $1500 or so, and more for the average configuration.

8. Doubletake

Doubletake Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Prince George
    Specs

What at are the specs on those units. CPU, Ram etc.