• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Might see a pop in business?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Had some people come out of the woodwork today wanting to move forward with orders. I wonder how many people are getting PPP money and want to generate business expenses. This could start stimulating the economy to move again.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've got jobs in the works and more jobs which have just plain cancelled, but hardly any of them are considered essential in my opinion. Landscaper wants his building wrapped, jewelry. store wants faces changed, another insurance company wants a new monument sign and the list goes on. First, practically no one is delivering substrates or supplies. Secondly, we aren't supposed to be out doing this sort of work and thirdly, what happens if we get caught ?? I'm going in and doing things and catching up on stuff, but at this point not gonna jeopardize anyone..... them or me when we're told NOT TO.

Do you people want this to lessen or are y'all just immune to this already ??

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
UK is going to start doing immunity tests and people could get certificates to move about freely. They need to start doing that here so we know who among us is OK and doesnt have to worry about protection.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
UK is going to start doing immunity tests and people could get certificates to move about freely. They need to start doing that here so we know who among us is OK and doesnt have to worry about protection.
Its pointless. Only .06% of the entire population in the US has it.

Notarealsignguy

I've got jobs in the works and more jobs which have just plain cancelled, but hardly any of them are considered essential in my opinion. Landscaper wants his building wrapped, jewelry. store wants faces changed, another insurance company wants a new monument sign and the list goes on. First, practically no one is delivering substrates or supplies. Secondly, we aren't supposed to be out doing this sort of work and thirdly, what happens if we get caught ?? I'm going in and doing things and catching up on stuff, but at this point not gonna jeopardize anyone..... them or me when we're told NOT TO.

Problem is they are letting people self police now which we should want to respect and keep. If it keeps going business as usual with everyone stretching the rules to fit, they could very possibly put in very strict restrictions that really screw us up. None of us want to live in a police state and have to have permission to leave the house or pass through checkpoints. Theyre paying good unemployment and paying your payroll plus some expenses.
Now is the time to do it, not in 3 months when it is out of control and nobody has any money again.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Working with our fuel retailer network to set up sneeze guards for their cashiers. Got the same request for a smaller network of tea shops - they are shut down but want them ready when the malls and stuff start to re-open.
Seems like honest work.

Getting mixed signals from the local government - they are going to start setting up checkpoints & roadblocks to make sure only essential people are out and about. May have to have a sign on the truck.
Then on the other hand - they are moving part of the crew from the carrier right down into the middle of our tourist industry into some of the vacant hotels. It seems counterproductive but maybe we don't know the bigger picture.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Problem is they are letting people self police now which we should want to respect and keep. If it keeps going business as usual with everyone stretching the rules to fit, they could very possibly put in very strict restrictions that really screw us up. None of us want to live in a police state and have to have permission to leave the house or pass through checkpoints. Theyre paying good unemployment and paying your payroll plus some expenses.
Now is the time to do it, not in 3 months when it is out of control and nobody has any money again.

Exactly !!! No one has self disipline. They've never been taught it and they've never experienced it. Therefore, they live in a gimme, gimme, gimme society. Like you said, they're oblivious to their surroundings and will b!tch out the wazoo, if they're policed. I'm starting to believe, this is nothing more than Earth purging itself.

rjssigns

Exactly! Walked my dog yesterday and saw landscapers putting mulch around the urgent care building.
How ironic would it be if the landscapers got sick while doing their "essential" job? Idiots.

Like I said in a post over a week ago. Keep that sh!t up and you really won't like what happens next.
IMO the heavy restrictions are coming. Tipping point will be when the hospitals are full. Fact.

signage

I blame these big businesses like Home Depot and Lowes who remain open and are selling non-essential items! These business should be held responsible for any employee that may come down with Covid19 and\or die! If they are claiming to be open for non-essential then that is all they should be selling. Go and look what most people are purchasing (paint, flooring, tile, drywall, gardening supplies, ...etc.)!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Haha, yea the lawn people are out in full-force working like dogs out there doing their job. I was suprised that they were going about as business as usual.

Notarealsignguy

The restrictions should be for essential businesses to only be allowed to perform essential functions during this. Come in, get it done and go home again with minimal staff.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Over the last couple or so days our company has seen a "pop" in business for making various types of clear acrylic sneeze guards. Lawton has increased restrictions on businesses and the movement of citizens. One of the new restrictions is that all essential businesses still in operation that have cashier/service counters must have sneeze guards between employees and customers. No two businesses are alike, so many of the solutions we're creating are custom.

I worry about our materials supply chain getting disrupted. If sign suppliers get shut down or too many of their drivers get sick we won't be able to get things we've ordered. Outside of the sign business I worry about other industries, like the food industry, getting supply chains disrupted. I read about a dairy farm having to dump thousands of gallons of fresh milk right into the manure pile because there was no way to deliver it.

We have a curfew going into effect Monday in Lawton. We haven't had very many confirmed SARS-CoV-2 infections locally (yet), so the hope is the increased restrictions will do more to flatten the curve before the spread can get out of hand here. I'm not sure if that's going to work because there has already been a lot of contrarian displays of people refusing to follow rules. 1400 Americans died of COVID-19 on Friday, yet there's still a bunch of people who insist this is no worse than the flu. So they're not going follow any big government rules.

The city mandated that people can no longer shop in groups. Which is long overdue. No more taking the whole friggin' family to the grocery store. Shoppers must shop alone. No more huggy social pow-wow sessions with friends in the aisles. Just go in, get the $#1+ you need, and go the f### home. And wash your hands and other high touch surfaces when you get there. Socialize on FaceTime, Zoom or whatever.

I don't know how this is going to work, but stores that can still allow customers inside have strict number limits depending on square footage. Big stores like Walmart can have no more than 100 inside at a time. I bought some beer at a liquor store yesterday afternoon; it's customer limit was 10. Apparently our local Sam's Club had a long line of customers wrapping around the building prior to it opening this morning. Standing outside in line with a bunch of strangers sounds a little risky to me.

Last edited:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
We do cemetery memorials and stone engraving....and a pre-need (still living) job came in today, but I suspect many of our future clients won't even see what we do for them.

JB