• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mike Stevens on the Art of Brush Lettering - VHS -1985

Feldspar

Hey guys,

Anybody have a copy or know where I can get a copy?

I've read lots about his work. Videos are always great learning.
I work in Atlanta, GA and sometimes in Richmond, VA.

Thanks

Feldspar

Ha, yeah, I saw that as well.
Closest one to me is 636 miles away and I think most library systems require a state ID to check out books or videos. At least, thats how it works here in Georgia and New York.
Maybe time for a road trip. I'm sure Kenosha, WI is beautiful this time of year.

FrankenSigns.biz

That would be awesome Frank.

The name is "Biff". ;-)

Anyway, I'll run into the library in the morning and check it out.

My library is a branch, so it may take a few days to come in. (I doubt very seriously it's actually here in Lake Wylie.)

Once I get it, I'll convert it to an MP4 and email to you.

phototec

The name is "Biff". ;-)

Anyway, I'll run into the library in the morning and check it out.

My library is a branch, so it may take a few days to come in. (I doubt very seriously it's actually here in Lake Wylie.)

Once I get it, I'll convert it to an MP4 and email to you.

Biff, that would be great if you could do that a post the MP4.

Doing some checking, the video is very rare and hard to come by the old VHS tape.

It might even be a good idea to post on YouTube so all the young folks can see how it was done before computers?

:thankyou: :notworthy: :rock-n-roll:

J Hill Designs

Biff, that would be great if you could do that a post the MP4.

Doing some checking, the video is very rare and hard to come by the old VHS tape.

It might even be a good idea to post on YouTube so all the young folks can see how it was done before computers?

:thankyou: :notworthy: :rock-n-roll:

might be some licensing issues with posting to utube

phototec

might be some licensing issues with posting to utube

I don't know, if the video was being sold somewhere - maybe, however I searched and could find the video offered anywhere.

The video is dated 1985, isn't that before all the latest copyright rules/restrictions?

Biff would not be claiming it as his work, just presenting "Mike Stevens on the art of brush lettering" like the library is doing, in a broader scale.

:thumb:

FrankenSigns.biz

I don't intend to sell it. I'm not going to post it to you tube either. I want it for me and I guess the two or three other guys here who asked me to share it with them after I've transferred it to MP4.

I don't think there are any real copyright concerns. His estate might take an issue with someone selling the MP4, but if his estate was active, they would still have his works in publication.

I'm headed to the library around 10:30 today. Wish me luck.

I bought Mike Stevens books and would really be interested in these old vhs and audio tapes promoted in old issues of signcraft. Anyone willing to share?

Bob Rochon

Seasoned Sign Freak
I have a copy but I wouldn't feel comfortable even copying it without consent.

Check his facebook page, maybe you can post there and request a copy.

Search Mike Stevens Memorial

SignManiac

I don't know about the copyright issues, but having met and known Mike personally, I think he would be in favor of as many people using his knowledge and passion for design. Especially with what's being put out today and passed off as sign design. His passion for teaching design and layout was his mission here on planet ugly signs. His knowledge sure helped me further my career. I think he has a living daughter and she might be the one to track down. He sure did leave a legacy!

Z SIGNS

I don't know about the copyright issues, but having met and known Mike personally, I think he would be in favor of as many people using his knowledge and passion for design. Especially with what's being put out today and passed off as sign design. His passion for teaching design and layout was his mission here on planet ugly signs. His knowledge sure helped me further my career. I think he has a living daughter and she might be the one to track down. He sure did leave a legacy!

Agreed Maniac,

I don't think Mike Stevens would be turning over in grave if his preachings went viral.

But I do think he would be turning over in his grave if he could see sign design of today.

I wouldn't feel comfortable reaching out to immediate family with something like this out of respect for their loss. Maybe I can try SignCraft or something.

I'm new to the craft and self teaching. It wouldn't be possible without guys like Colt Bowden that continue to share knowledge of veteran sign painters EC Matthews and Lonnie Tettaton (through beard and butter site) after they have passed.

Mike Stevens books made a big impression on me and I'd love for his vhs and audio recordings to live on. If someone wants to private message me, I'd appreciate a copy.

Maybe a close friend could approach the Stevens family about having someone like Colt carry on the Stevens legacy?