• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki 3042 vs Direct Color 1024

chuckh

Mimaki UJF 3042 vs Direct Color 1024. Anyone currently using either of these? Any thoughts or comparisons?

tommysuriady

I use UJF 3042fx and no complaint at all. Just make sure you apply primer on everything, especially glass and acrylics.
color is beautiful and is definitely as close to photo quality as a uv system can get.
expensive unit but one cartridge of ink lasts forever and ever.

mel-

tommysuriady,do you mean you use one of the wipe on primers or did you mean a layer of primer ink? thanks for any tips. Just bought the 3042hgMelinda

Esmae

I bought an ex demo 3042 a couple of months ago and love it. Like tommysuriady said the colours are beautiful. I also looked at the 1024 and the quality seemed as good but my decision was made based upon previous experience with Mimaki (I also have a JV33 printer and CG160fxII cutter) all of my Mimaki machines have worked flawlessly since I have owned them which is about 4 years.

With primer I use metho (denatured alcohol) on almost everything even if it doesn't need it, and for anything that requires it I use the mimaki primer. . We chose the hard inks LF-100 (i think it's called that) over the more flexible for the durability. Also the local support company go above and beyond to make sure we are well looked after.

mel-

esmae,do you use alcohol on plastic/acrylic? I make mostly phone and device covers and just bought this to switch from making them through dye sub.bought a new one three weeks ago and still learning. it seems like it needs cleaned way too often. I can only do 40 phone covers before I get overspray and then it takes a couple of hours at least to go through several cleaning cycles, nozzle wash etc to finally get it up and running again. right at the moment, I am just doing the dye sub metal (has a special polyester coating for the dye to stick). I'm still testing out different plastic and tpu cases to find ones the ink sticks well to plus I like the quality of the make of the case.I make 200+ a day during the fall/christmas season and have to get this figured out before then or there won't be enough hours in the day to get them all done :(thanks for your response,Melinda

mattheinzel

Mel
I know your post is older, but you were talking about overspray. If you are doing phones/cases you should make a jig that will prevent the overspray in the first place. We use card board and surround the award that we are printing.

Have you had good success with durability?