• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki and Me

joeraptor2003

Hi Guys
I am pretty new to the sign making scene but not to the graphic design portion. I have been in the graphics industry since 1991. So with that being said, I would like to say "hello" and introduce myself. My name is Joe and my company name is Raptor Graffix. It's not my full time GIG...yet. I am hoping some where within a year from now.. I will be able to make it that.

Anyways, I just bought a Mimaki CJV 100 and a Daige solo 38 inch laminator ..all brand new. I do mostly custom decals for the Paintball industry and I am expanding into the MotoCross field as well.

I just recieved my printer on Thursday and I have to say this thing is a bit intimidating compared to my Epson 3800 (x2) that I have been using along with a CIS ink system.. So with that being said.. I am here to ask the PROS what should I know about this printer/cutter? Pros /Cons?

What other equipment would you recommend that I should purchase to go with the new start up business?

I greatly appreciate any info on this for I am pretty much a total newbie.

Thank you in advance!
-Joe

121a

Hello! We have owned our CJV 30-130 for 1.5 years (Should mention that it is our first digitial printer) now and we have only had one serious issue with it. The data cable that the cutter head uses has manage to pop out of the track that it sits in. Normally we just put it back in but it is very very annoying. Also, the machine has so many unnecessary "steps" built into it. What I mean by steps is that back and for of the cutter unit, like changing clamp pressure and switching from cut to print, ect. Other than that, we have been very happy with the print quality as well as the cut quality. We were told to keep contur cuts to under 3' for maximum accuracy but we have run 10'+ and don't have too much of a quality loss.

I am still learning new things about this printer and how to make things smoother and easier to accomplish. I would scan the manuals a few times and read parts that you think will be important to you. If you are using Rasterlink, I also suggest just going through the menus and seeing how they all work.

Good luck!!!

joeraptor2003

Thank you for the kind welcome and Artbot thanks for the updates!. All really helpful and useful.. I can't wait to dig into these:Big Laugh

Much appreciated!

Joe

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from OK

:Welcome: to :signs101:

Hope you have enough work to keep the printer going on a daily basis. Otherwise, it can become a cleaning/repair nightmare.

joeraptor2003

:Welcome: to :signs101:

Hope you have enough work to keep the printer going on a daily basis. Otherwise, it can become a cleaning/repair nightmare.

Yes.. Actually I do keep it busy. And yes you are right.. I don't want to experience any of the perils of letting these things sit too long inactive but thank you for the heads-up.

artbot

paint the cap and wiper with pure butyl carbitol often. that will keep things very well moistened and prohibit any possibility of those areas from drying (ever).

joeraptor2003

paint the cap and wiper with pure butyl carbitol often. that will keep things very well moistened and prohibit any possibility of those areas from drying (ever).

HI Art

So I am assuming that this is not the same stuff as in the cleaning liquid that Mimaki provides?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The CJV is a newer single DX5 head machine and is nowhere near the maintenance headache as the older four DX4 head generation machines.

if you are printing near daily it will be very little work to keep it maintained. Maybe do a manual clean around the head with it in the left service station and clean the capping station area about twice a month and you are sailing.

signworldusinc

Merchant Member
Greetings from Chino, CA! Feel free to check us out if you are ever in need of quality vinyl at affordable prices. We can do free shipping on some items or provide additional discounts to ensure a perfect fit. :Big Laugh

Best regards,
Signworld Team