Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimaki and Me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by joeraptor2003, Jul 15, 2013.

1. joeraptor2003

joeraptor2003 New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Hi Guys
    I am pretty new to the sign making scene but not to the graphic design portion. I have been in the graphics industry since 1991. So with that being said, I would like to say "hello" and introduce myself. My name is Joe and my company name is Raptor Graffix. It's not my full time GIG...yet. I am hoping some where within a year from now.. I will be able to make it that.

Anyways, I just bought a Mimaki CJV 100 and a Daige solo 38 inch laminator ..all brand new. I do mostly custom decals for the Paintball industry and I am expanding into the MotoCross field as well.

I just recieved my printer on Thursday and I have to say this thing is a bit intimidating compared to my Epson 3800 (x2) that I have been using along with a CIS ink system.. So with that being said.. I am here to ask the PROS what should I know about this printer/cutter? Pros /Cons?

What other equipment would you recommend that I should purchase to go with the new start up business?

I greatly appreciate any info on this for I am pretty much a total newbie.

Thank you in advance!
    -Joe

Tags:
  2. J Hill Designs

J Hill Designs Major Contributor

Sep 24, 2004
    welcome from cali :thumb:

3. 121a

121a Member

Mar 23, 2012
    Hello! We have owned our CJV 30-130 for 1.5 years (Should mention that it is our first digitial printer) now and we have only had one serious issue with it. The data cable that the cutter head uses has manage to pop out of the track that it sits in. Normally we just put it back in but it is very very annoying. Also, the machine has so many unnecessary "steps" built into it. What I mean by steps is that back and for of the cutter unit, like changing clamp pressure and switching from cut to print, ect. Other than that, we have been very happy with the print quality as well as the cut quality. We were told to keep contur cuts to under 3' for maximum accuracy but we have run 10'+ and don't have too much of a quality loss.

I am still learning new things about this printer and how to make things smoother and easier to accomplish. I would scan the manuals a few times and read parts that you think will be important to you. If you are using Rasterlink, I also suggest just going through the menus and seeing how they all work.

Good luck!!!

4. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    pm me your email address if you want all the service manuals and tech updates.

5. joeraptor2003

joeraptor2003 New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Thank you for the kind welcome and Artbot thanks for the updates!. All really helpful and useful.. I can't wait to dig into these:Big Laugh

Much appreciated!

Joe

6. The Big Squeegee

The Big Squeegee Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2005
    Lawton, OK, USA
    Welcome from OK

:Welcome: to :signs101:

Hope you have enough work to keep the printer going on a daily basis. Otherwise, it can become a cleaning/repair nightmare.

7. joeraptor2003

joeraptor2003 New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    Yes.. Actually I do keep it busy. And yes you are right.. I don't want to experience any of the perils of letting these things sit too long inactive but thank you for the heads-up.

8. artbot

artbot Very Active Member

Feb 18, 2010
    Houston TX
    paint the cap and wiper with pure butyl carbitol often. that will keep things very well moistened and prohibit any possibility of those areas from drying (ever).

9. joeraptor2003

joeraptor2003 New Member

Jul 15, 2013
    HI Art

So I am assuming that this is not the same stuff as in the cleaning liquid that Mimaki provides?

10. SightLine

SightLine Premium Subscriber

The CJV is a newer single DX5 head machine and is nowhere near the maintenance headache as the older four DX4 head generation machines.

if you are printing near daily it will be very little work to keep it maintained. Maybe do a manual clean around the head with it in the left service station and clean the capping station area about twice a month and you are sailing.

11. signworldusinc

signworldusinc Merchant Member

May 16, 2012
    Rancho Cucamonga, CA
    Greetings from Chino, CA! Feel free to check us out if you are ever in need of quality vinyl at affordable prices. We can do free shipping on some items or provide additional discounts to ensure a perfect fit. :Big Laugh

Best regards,
    Signworld Team