• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CG-130 FX /FineCut8 Contour cutting way off

ATTTR

Trying to contour cut using FineCut8 with Ai CS4 (can't get it to work on Ai CC, which is another problem unto itself). No matter what I do, I cannot get the contour cutting to stay lined up properly and cut along where it's supposed to for the entire process. The first few cuts are pretty close, and are always the ones closest to the right side of the machine.

As it travels outward, the cut is more and more off. I have tried using/making all kinds of guidelines to line up everything properly when I load the material, but nothing seems to be working. (And yes, I use the Register Marks and the laser eye to line things up, as well.)

I need to get this issue resolved asap because I am wasting a lot of time and money trying to cut decals that aren't going to recoup my losses. (And my boss will have a cow.)

I saw a suggestion in another thread about adjusting the pressure bars on the back, but I don't see how to do that.

Any suggestions???

Thanks!

ATTTR

Still dealing with this problem. After register mark stuff is done, the contour cuts start out on target, then drift up to a 1/2" off.

Solutions we have tried:
Made sure rollers were in good working condition and clamped down properly and tightly.
Thoroughly cleaned very nook and cranny of the plotter
Replaced the belt
Cleaned the sensor (laser eye) - next step is to replace it.
Tried cutting in smaller batches
Tried cutting in larger batches
Tried cutting different sizes (small 6" round decals up to round 19" decals)

ALWAYS the same outcome. Cuts are off the outline.

Added problem is that the cuts are "picking" leaving scraggly spots in the vinyl, also not finishing and not closing off cuts where they should be, resulting in a lot of hand cuts so that I can weed the vinyl properly. (mises closing the letter or shape by about 2 mm sometimes, so I have to use the x-acto to complete the cut so I can finish weeding.))

I've tried every adjustment I know of to find a solution.
New blade
New blade housing
Make depth and speed adjustments
New belt

This machine is making my blood pressure go through the roof.
I'm losing out on jobs because I can't contour cut printed decals.

Service Tech is absolutely clueless (and useless) as to why this keeps happening.
Waiting on the boss to replace the sensor, but he is swamped. It's super intricate to take apart the whole blade housing and detach everything to get to it. Ex-coworker tried, but stripped the screws!!

They won't even consider purchasing a new plotter, either...

HELP!!!!!

Snydo

No one has any advice/information?

I used to run that same plotter, seems to me that your pinch rollers may be overworn, or your clamp pressure levers are out of whack.
http://www.go-gddq.com/down/2014-01/14011412278200.pdf
mimaki.PNG

1leonchen

clamp pressure is one. run all high

if u are doing lots of small stickers do small batches i would usually do the lenght of material by 10 inches down and keep printing the same file multiple times. i also used the fx160 i leave the auto cut on so it cuts and cuts off.

if your offset is different in the software from the machine u will get that problem. i my friend came and used my plotter he changed the ofset to 0.4 and i had 0.3 too me six weeks to figure out. adobe also likes to change the offset in fine cut 8

if u laminate with a thin laminate u will get that problem on long runs.

bleeds are essential or use a white cameo.

high blood pressure is common when print and cut with most plotters. patience is key

cbh

To start, just to be sure, I would measure the printed graphics to make sure that the print is not the actual problem.

Next, there are two encoders (one for each axis) which the cutter uses to position the blade; both are integrated into the motors. There is *no* feedback as to *actual* location. So if the encoder is off or if there is a problem in the drive train, then the blade will not be where the cutter 'thinks' it is.

Make sure that there is no slop in the x or y drive trains. Belts with missing teeth and / or gears with loose set screws can fool the cutter as to the blade's actual location.

So:

1 - are the cuts off in the vertical or horizontal axis (or both)?
2 - how many cut marks are you using? (the more the better. Using 3 will allow correction for skewed media, using 4 can correct out-of-square or trapezoidal images)
3 - are the cuts the correct size, but mispositioned, or are they too small or large?

If the cuts are the right size vertically, but get steadily worse going across the media, then I would suspect the problem is noise in the y motor encoder.

If instead, the cuts are off by varying amounts as it goes across the media, then I would suspect slop somewhere in the y drive train.

Sloppy cutting is usually taken care of by a sharp blade at the right height and pressure for the media. As far as not closing the cuts, this could be a result of the cut size being distorted.

ATTTR

These were done with the pen so it would show exactly where the blade would be cutting. The very front, far left decal cut almost perfectly, but it's the only one.
I can't figure out why these are so off, and the Mimaki manual is pretty much broken English, it's missing images/steps and I can barely follow it. My TP1 gives me an extra step after mark detection now, as well. I have no idea how to fix this. I am NOT mechanically inclined with electronics.

100_26961_zpsd9913beb.jpg

100_26951_zps85b8d73b.jpg

100_27041_zps19794f8c.jpg

100_26941_zps15c87d91.jpg

100_27001_zps84785459.jpg

100_27021_zps9f0892cf.jpg

100_26911_zps3ba5fd81.jpg

100_27011_zps6fdc82cb.jpg

100_26991_zps7e52a40d.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

ATTTR

clamp pressure is one. run all high

if u are doing lots of small stickers do small batches i would usually do the lenght of material by 10 inches down and keep printing the same file multiple times. i also used the fx160 i leave the auto cut on so it cuts and cuts off.

if your offset is different in the software from the machine u will get that problem. i my friend came and used my plotter he changed the ofset to 0.4 and i had 0.3 too me six weeks to figure out. adobe also likes to change the offset in fine cut 8

if u laminate with a thin laminate u will get that problem on long runs.

bleeds are essential or use a white cameo.

high blood pressure is common when print and cut with most plotters. patience is key

How do I double check the offsets are both the same?

cbh

I assume the graphic measured okay.

This looks like it's most likely file related. You can determine whether the problem is in the hardware or the software by printing a full row of them with a separate single cut mark for each label.

If the cuts are all good, then the problem will be in the software.

ATTTR

I assume the graphic measured okay.

This looks like it's most likely file related. You can determine whether the problem is in the hardware or the software by printing a full row of them with a separate single cut mark for each label.

If the cuts are all good, then the problem will be in the software.

Sadly, I have no idea how to go about doing that.
I use Mimaki FineCut8 out of Illustrator.
I don't even know how to set it up in Flexi, which I have.