• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CG-130 SRIII Plotter Plotter Cutting Problem

ErikM

Hi guys, I noticed that my Mimaki CG-130 SRIII plotter sometimes cuts something like an ellipse instead of a circle (just not an exact circle but there is a bounce), I am attaching a picture.

Has anyone encountered this problem and what could be causing it? I thought about replacing the main belt, but that's just my guess.

Thanks in advance for all the answers.

Erik

Attachments

• IMG_2129.jpg
    IMG_2129.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 275

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would check the cut protection strip and if it has a deep cut in it, I would replace it. It's the strip of rubber that runs along the blade path. If it has any deformities, it will cause issues like this. Other than that, make sure your offset setting is correct.

ErikM

Hi, thank you for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I changed the cut protection strip a few days ago, but nothing changed. I use Mimaki Cutting Blade 45° - SPB-0030 and the offset is set to 0.25
I also have to say that it doesn't always happen. It's more of a random error, but I'd like to find out what could be causing it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Hi, thank you for the reply.

I forgot to mention that I changed the cut protection strip a few days ago, but nothing changed. I use Mimaki Cutting Blade 45° - SPB-0030 and the offset is set to 0.25
I also have to say that it doesn't always happen. It's more of a random error, but I'd like to find out what could be causing it.
Ok so the offset for that blade should be 0.30 but I don't think that little difference is what's causing your issue. Worth a shot to adjust it though. I would also clean out your blade holder with an air duster and maybe some alcohol to get any adhesive out. Maybe the blade is getting caught up on something in the holder.

cornholio

Could be one of the small timing belts jumping. I had this once with a CG 130.
The belt was likely installed with a too high tension.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It's a possibility for sure but in my experience, the things that fail on cutters the most is the, blade holder, blade itself, cut strip, cutter solenoid or main board. Motor and belt issues are rare comparatively.

ErikM

Thank you for your ideas, personally I am more inclined to the fact that there will be a problem in the knife holder and that the knife probably cannot turn completely sometimes. I'll try both ideas, give it some time because like I said it doesn't happen regularly and see if the problem reappears. Thank you once again.

Erik

cornholio

If it's the timing belt jumping, I was able to reproduce it by cutting diagonal rectangles. This problem happened to me only once. Most of the time, it's the blade holder or blade... especially if you use the cheap Chinese BS.

ErikM

Okay, so I replaced the cut protection strip, blade holder and blade itself. It didn't help. As the next step would you recommend replacing the main board?

I am considering a new plotter in this case. I have seen some reviews of the Summa S2 T160 and also have some good references from people I know. Do you have experience with this machine? Thanks in advance for the answers.

cornholio

If I needed a cutter, I'd go for a Summa. (Cutting quality, speed, tracking of long jobs, Barcode function, Flexcut and so on...)

While Mimakis are pretty good as well, their Finecut is the best Software by far... and is available for PC an Mac.