• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Mimaki CG-130FXII Not Contour Cutting Properly

Mike Volpone

Trying to survive in this post-Covid world!!!
Running Win 10, CorelDraw 2019, FineCut Pro 9, Mutoh XPJ 1641SR. Trying to contour cut decals. I run the first job of round decals 30-up. The lines and registration marks are perfect. The cut lines come out perfect. Now I go to cut some odd shaped decals 70-up. Again, the reggies and cut lines are perfect. The plotter cuts 1/3rd of them acceptable and the rest too high. On the next run, some are acceptable and the rest are too far left. On the next run, some are acceptable and the rest are too low. I checked the alignment of the cut lines vs. the print file and it is perfect. Nothing in the file has changed. I am running through a 50' USB cable. Don't know if that could cause issues?

I also have a HUGE problem contour cutting decals on 3M reflective vinyl. I cannot get the plotter to recognize the reggies even though I print them at 100% CMYK to darken them up. I have tried using a Sharpie to darken them up more post printing to no avail...

Has anybody else had problems with Mimaki plotters and Finecut Pro doing this??

Any suggestions??

Please advise.

Thank you in advance,

Mike

APCInk

Merchant Member
After you print the graphic place small pieces of Scotch Magic Tape over each of the marks. Make sure it is the frosted looking (Magic) tape as this reduces the light scatter and helps the plotter see the marks more accurately. If this does not work you may need a voltage adjustment made to the sensor on the plotter but if it is working fine with regular vinyl the Magic Tape should square you away.

Mike Volpone

After you print the graphic place small pieces of Scotch Magic Tape over each of the marks. Make sure it is the frosted looking (Magic) tape as this reduces the light scatter and helps the plotter see the marks more accurately. If this does not work you may need a voltage adjustment made to the sensor on the plotter but if it is working fine with regular vinyl the Magic Tape should square you away.

Thank you. I will try that... Any suggestions for the contour cutting problem???

APCInk

Merchant Member
Thank you. I will try that... Any suggestions for the contour cutting problem???
Try slowing down the speed to 5 cm/sec and see what happens. Also this can happen if the rollers are starting to stiffen up. We have found it is good to replace them every few years. The stiff rubber allows the graphic to slip a little while plotting. Make sure you take a wire brush to the grit rollers from time to time to remove old pieces of vinyl and adhesive. This can help as well.

unclebun

We put a piece of premask (application) tape over the registration marks and redraw them with a Sharpie pen when the sensor can't read them.

Unfortunately the problem with the cutting going off is due to the media bulging and shifting as the cutting progresses, as well as skew that happens as the material goes forward and back through the machine. Slipping pinch rollers can cause this but it will happen with a brand new plotter as well. Pay attention to where the vinyl goes entering and exiting the front and back of the plotter, and what it bangs into on the way. Make it as smooth as possible. And slowing the plotter helps as well. Finally, reduce the number of objects to be cut in a batch so that the length of material is less than 2 or 3 feet, if that's possible.

MARAD

Hi all,
Have you fixed the issues with the contour cut i have same issues , 2 monts was ok and now one day 10 mm to high is cutting the lines.
If you can explain why and what need to do.
Regards
Marcin

Mike Volpone

My problem appears to be an $8 LED that reads the registration mark when setting up the contour cut.

While the part just came in from Japan, I have not yet received and installed it.

I will post once I have the part installed.

But, I don't foresee the Mimaki ever contour cutting the reflective material I cut often because the led light is refracted off of the reflective material.

I decided to make a huge investment and bought a Summa S2T-160 with OPUS Technology that uses a camera to recognize the registration mark instead of bouncing a light off of the material.

This decision has proved to be awesome.

It is an amazing plotter!

Best,

Mike

MARAD

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your reply, good to know you have a new cutter machine :) less troubles

I don't know If I can resolve this myself from the cutter settings - do you know you where I can change offset cut for cutting when is cutting in wrong position.

Regards

Marcin

MARAD

Yes mimaki they are very good machines, just my daughter she is helping me with some work cutting the vinyls and one day it was ok with the cutting and next day the offset contour cut is different 10mm .

use my location " the sign man southend on sea " from google maps