• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CG-FX II User Question

metrommp

Hi everyone,

I am a new member of this forum so let me start out by introducing myself. My name is Blane. I am a graphic artist at a start-up sign company in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
The two main machines we use are a Roland VP-540 and a Mimaki CG-FX II Plotter. The Mimaki we just bought 2 weeks ago because of the continuous crop marks and the cutting accuracy.

One of the main areas of focus at our business is decals for the hobby market so we cut a lot of very small decals. We use the VP-540 to print and the Mimaki to cut. A lot of the sheets of decals have very thin black strokes so the accuracy has to be dead on the nose or the decals do not look right.

In the Operation Manual it shows that you can align the mark sensor at increments of .2mm using the SENSOR OFS command wich I have done. But the problem is that I cant seem to get the cutter to cut perfectly it either cuts a little bit to the left or the right, and vice-versa up and down. In the manual it says you can adjust by .2 increments but it seems like a much larger increments.

Does anyone know if you can fine tune the cutting conditions so that I can get the cutter to cut exactly where I want it too. I can get into the service menu by pressing (remote + tool at startup) Maybe there is a way to do it in there. On my roland you can do it on its service menu. If anyone has a Maintenance manual for this machine or knows how to help it would be very much appreciated!

Thank You,
Blane

bmw_ante

You can NOT change the SENSOR OFC to get it to cut better ! Under Setup--> MARK DETECT (Using finecut 1pt) you have X & Y OFFSET , here you can change the cutline ... if its differ in X direction try changing the X value and check if it got better or worse

print out a lot of squares with reg marks so that you have many print to check your recalibration on ( Changed values --> testcut a square again to see how it cuts)

MGraphics

same boat

Hello,

I am in the same boat as you .... i am trying to contour cut some small decals with a border and was using Onyx layout tool to do my cutting but it is horrible... i am now using fine cut whick works alot better but i still have to fiddle around with the offset to get it perfect.... not sure if there is a way to calibrate the 160fx? let me know yor progress... I print on a Dilli 1606 UV flat bed and cut on the mimaki Cg160fx

Cheers

signswi

Friction cutters will never have the same tolerances as sprocket cutters. Decal market you'd be better off going old school with a Gerber Edge, EnVision and Composer 4.

Do what bmw_ante suggested and make sure you're calibrated to square. If you are you could try dropping your cut speed down as the faster you go the more the friction feed will slip and lower accuracy. Might also consider building bleed into your designs.

Which hobby market? I grew up in Eau Claire and a lot of my friends and family are in the Twin Cities, a good number of whom are hobbiests of one sort or another. Model builders, model railroaders, r/c, Warhammer...?

Last edited: