• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CG160FXII and ONYX Cut Server

signman315

Signmaker
Setting up a Mimaki plotter to print/cut through Onyx Thrive (printed on HP latex, cut on Mimaki plotter, all through ONYX thrive). I've done this many times with Summa and other printers/cutters...but for some reason I can't get it to work with the Mimaki CG160FXII. Onyx will generate the registration marks, prints fine via the HP latex printer, it will generate the cut file via the "CutContour" shape from the design software. Everything works perfectly, with the exception that when I send the file from Onyx Cut Server to the Mimaki Plotter, it immediately starts cutting, instead of reading the 4 registration marks first and then cutting. I've got it set to "Automatically Detect Marks" in the ONYX cut server but it still doesn't read the marks and just immediately cuts. The plotter is plugged directly into the computer via USB, and we were previously cutting out of Illustrator using the FineCut plugin....so perhaps there's a setting/configuration on the plotter itself that allows it to read the marks when a file is sent from ONYX cut server. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!

signman315

Signmaker
Follow up...turn out that unchecking "manual alignment" in the ONYX cut server (under configuration settings for plotter) allows the Mimaki plotter to automatically read the registration marks. Problem Solved!!!!

signman315

Signmaker
With that Mimaki we've always read the marks manually before going to hit cut in the software.
With the finecut plugin one would have to load the plotter, align the laser to the first registration mark, hit enter and hit remote. Then go to the finecut plugin and send it to cut, after which it would read the 4 marks and cut the job. It's a similar situation with the Onyx workflow I described except with the way I've set it up one no longer needs the finecut plugin and all registration marks are automatically generated in Onyx at print time (using CutContour spot color). Then from there Onyx generates the cut file and sends it to the Onyx cut server and all graphics are cut via the Onyx cut server. It saves a lot of prep time for the designers, and saves a lot of fiddling in the files to send it to cut via finecut, saving the production guys time...and also limiting user errors on both ends :)

unclebun

With the finecut plugin one would have to load the plotter, align the laser to the first registration mark, hit enter and hit remote. Then go to the finecut plugin and send it to cut, after which it would read the 4 marks and cut the job. It's a similar situation with the Onyx workflow I described except with the way I've set it up one no longer needs the finecut plugin and all registration marks are automatically generated in Onyx at print time (using CutContour spot color). Then from there Onyx generates the cut file and sends it to the Onyx cut server and all graphics are cut via the Onyx cut server. It saves a lot of prep time for the designers, and saves a lot of fiddling in the files to send it to cut via finecut, saving the production guys time...and also limiting user errors on both ends :)

We use Onyx too, and with our Graphtec plotter you send the cut command from CutServer, and the plotter then reads the marks after which it cuts. But with the Mimaki, you load the vinyl, activate the mark reader in the plotter controls, position the first mark, then have it read the marks, then when it finishes you press enter-enter-enter to accept the reading and then press the button to make the plotter ready for the cut command (online I think it says). Then you send the cut command from CutServer.

We do the CutContour thing, as you say. We've used the Mimaki and Onyx since 2006, and even as we've kept up with Onyx versions the process for cutting with the Mimaki has remained the same.

signman315

Signmaker
We use Onyx too, and with our Graphtec plotter you send the cut command from CutServer, and the plotter then reads the marks after which it cuts. But with the Mimaki, you load the vinyl, activate the mark reader in the plotter controls, position the first mark, then have it read the marks, then when it finishes you press enter-enter-enter to accept the reading and then press the button to make the plotter ready for the cut command (online I think it says). Then you send the cut command from CutServer.

We do the CutContour thing, as you say. We've used the Mimaki and Onyx since 2006, and even as we've kept up with Onyx versions the process for cutting with the Mimaki has remained the same.
Odd, our Mimaki plotter doesn't require hitting enter 3 times...with ours we just set it to the first mark and put it on remote. Then when the cut file is sent from Onyx OR Finecut it just automatically reads all 4 marks and cuts the job. Either way informative, thanks Uncle Bun!

jimmmi

Can Onyx cut server replace finecut? For example cut simple vinyl etc

Last edited:

MikePro

onyx cut server wasn't designed to export regular cut paths, only rip-server-generated cut files from printed files....and only after they've been printed.

rookdesign

Setting up a Mimaki plotter to print/cut through Onyx Thrive (printed on HP latex, cut on Mimaki plotter, all through ONYX thrive). I've done this many times with Summa and other printers/cutters...but for some reason I can't get it to work with the Mimaki CG160FXII. Onyx will generate the registration marks, prints fine via the HP latex printer, it will generate the cut file via the "CutContour" shape from the design software. Everything works perfectly, with the exception that when I send the file from Onyx Cut Server to the Mimaki Plotter, it immediately starts cutting, instead of reading the 4 registration marks first and then cutting. I've got it set to "Automatically Detect Marks" in the ONYX cut server but it still doesn't read the marks and just immediately cuts. The plotter is plugged directly into the computer via USB, and we were previously cutting out of Illustrator using the FineCut plugin....so perhaps there's a setting/configuration on the plotter itself that allows it to read the marks when a file is sent from ONYX cut server. Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
I cannot get my mimaki to work with my onyx I have an cg130sr3