• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV150 / Rasterlink How do I print from a PC In a different room??

Myster Enigma

Hello everyone, I really need some help on this as I feel like I'm almost there with this.

So I have a Mimaki CJV150 downstairs. My main powerful computer is upstairs. I just want to know is there a way for me to rip and print using my upstairs computer to the machine, simple as that.

I have a Roland VS540i downstairs along with the Mimaki. I can say right now that I have a powerline adapter on both floors. This connects my Roland VS540i to my computer upstairs and I can send prints no problem. There is no secondary PC/Laptop require. Just 2 Ethernet cables and 2 Powerline Adapters.

I tried to do this with the Mimaki but it didn't work :( Here's what I did so far. I have 2 copies of Rasterlink 6. One is installed on my main computer upstairs and one installed on a laptop (Both using different registration keys)

The laptop is connected to the Mimaki downstairs via USB. I have managed to successfully network share the mimaki printer. Please take a look at the first photo I uploaded. This is a screenshot taken from the computer upstairs. It shows that the Mimaki is connected. Now when I open up Rasterlink 6 on the main computer I tried to add the Mimaki as a printer. It didn't receive any signal (see image 2) I went through the Rasterlink connection manual as shown.

I am confused now. Have I done something wrong? Can anyone point me in the right direction because all I want to do is print from upstairs lol Can I do this via Ethernet somehow?

Thanks

Attachments

• Mimaki Found On Network.jpg
    Mimaki Found On Network.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 417
  • Mimaki Printer Not Showing.jpg
    Mimaki Printer Not Showing.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 291

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Only the new CJV150 Plus model has Ethernet printing capabilities even though your model has an Ethernet port which is stupid I know. In your case though you do have options.

You can get an Ethernet USB hub which will allow you to extend a USB connection from your upstairs computer to the printer downstairs. This would allow you to not have to have a lap top as a middle man. The reason the printer isn't showing up in Rasterlink on your upstairs computer is because it doesn't see networked printers. Only USB ones. The hub will allow you to basically have a USB hub for your upstairs computer extended all the way downstairs without data transmission issues you would normally get with a super long USB cable.

Another way is to create a hot folder on the lap top that is connected to the printer, network the folder, and then set Rasterlink to auto execute. You would need to use the FineCut plug-in on Illustrator or Corel to send jobs to the folder and then Rasterlink would load it up automatically and print. This way is much more clunky and you would need to setup a hot folder for each different profile and settings you want to use. Otherwise you would have to go downstairs and setup the profile and settings and manually hit print which kind of defeats the purpose.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Forgot to add, make sure you get a hub with a power cord. A lot of them only have USB power but if you don't want to have to have a computer powering it, they do have ones with normal power supplies.

Myster Enigma

Only the new CJV150 Plus model has Ethernet printing capabilities even though your model has an Ethernet port which is stupid I know. In your case though you do have options.

You can get an Ethernet USB hub which will allow you to extend a USB connection from your upstairs computer to the printer downstairs. This would allow you to not have to have a lap top as a middle man. The reason the printer isn't showing up in Rasterlink on your upstairs computer is because it doesn't see networked printers. Only USB ones. The hub will allow you to basically have a USB hub for your upstairs computer extended all the way downstairs without data transmission issues you would normally get with a super long USB cable.

Another way is to create a hot folder on the lap top that is connected to the printer, network the folder, and then set Rasterlink to auto execute. You would need to use the FineCut plug-in on Illustrator or Corel to send jobs to the folder and then Rasterlink would load it up automatically and print. This way is much more clunky and you would need to setup a hot folder for each different profile and settings you want to use. Otherwise you would have to go downstairs and setup the profile and settings and manually hit print which kind of defeats the purpose.

Thank you so much for responding :) Firstly just want to thank you as you've always been super helpful with the problems I encountered in the past it's much appreciated.

I will have to go for the Ethernet USB hub method as the hot folder route definitely sounds like too much work. I've just done a quick google search and I'm a bit confused as there are a few hubs. Any chance you can send me a link to one so I can get an idea :) Also how the hub will work. Do I have to connect this to the Computer and then still use a long cable or is it wireless.

Thank you so much

Myster Enigma

Actually, use this one. You plug the printer USB into one and plug the other one into your computer upstairs. Then you just run an Ethernet cable between the two.

Ohh I see so a male USB on one end and a female on the other. Thanks again for the information I'll get one now and let you know how it goes. I just can't believe that Mimaki would add an ethernet port without it being at all useful for network printing.

Thanks

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I just can't believe that Mimaki would add an ethernet port without it being at all useful for network printing.

For sure. I install these machines in the field all the time and that is the number one complaint. The new models allow it so they are improving!

Myster Enigma

For sure. I install these machines in the field all the time and that is the number one complaint. The new models allow it so they are improving!

Yeah it's just that even the SP540v which I traded in over a year ago (I believe its a 15 year old machine) had this feature and the Mimaki being so much newer makes no sense at all. Also I wish Rasterlink is more like Versaworks. Roland machines are much simpler to use :(