Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimaki CJV30-100 or Roland Versacamm SPI540?

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by mkubiniok, May 26, 2012.

1. mkubiniok

mkubiniok New Member

May 26, 2012
    Hi,

greetings from Germany. I have a question and hope that you can help me in my decission. I want to by my first Solvent printer, until now I have a Canon IPf 5100 17" printer. We use the machine inhouse, we sell special items and we offer an invidivual print for our customers. Most times I must print banners in the size 150 x 40cm.

So, I am thinking to buy a Mimaki CJV30-100 or a Roland Versacamm SPI 540.

Until my, I think these pro's and contra's are fact:

Pro Mimaki:
    Better Solvent ink

Pro Roland:
    The included Software Versaworks is better
    Service and Support are maybe better

At the moment, I think that the Mimaki is the better choice, I want to use it in 2 x CYMK mode, white and silver are not interesting for me. I must print on self adhesive vinyl.

My plans are to work with Illustrator, I have heared that it is easier to make cut contours with Versaworks, but I have always the same sizes to cut, so I think that I can make a cut template by myself that works in Illustrator.

I have heared from guys, working in the promotion sector, that the Mimaki is more a "working machine".

Can you tell me which machine you would recommend? Dealer often want to offer me the Roland, I don't know why, do they maybe have more profit with this machine?

Tags:
  2. Robert M

Robert M Very Active Member

Jan 23, 2007
    colorado
    Auto take up

Mimaki has an auto take up, does the Roland
    The Mimaki RIP and their cutting software are not bad, Does the Roland come with a vinyl cutting software?

3. booshworks

booshworks New Member

Mar 11, 2012
    Love my CJV -- colors out of Corel and Adobe products are really accurate, cutti is a breeze and maintenance is easy. We only do small items, but it's fast enough and profitable from day one.

I really like FineCut for Corel -- it makes designing to printing to cutting a very simple process. We have an old laptop as our print server, and every workstation in the shop outputs right from Corel to a hot folder and the job gets going.

I'm going to buy a second CJV for wraps in a few months with the profits from our tiny 60mm model (24").

4. mkubiniok

mkubiniok New Member

May 26, 2012
    Yesterday i decided to buy the Mimaki. I think it has more pro's than the Roland. Next week it will be delivered and i will check Fine Cut. The Dealer has also recommended Signlab to me. Does anyone work with it?

5. Freese

Freese Member

Jan 12, 2011
    IMO, rasterlink is fine

6. Neil

Neil Member

Aug 25, 2005
    Adelaide, South Australia
    I have a CJV which I use Signlab for all the printing and cutting.
    Feel free to PM me with any questions once you get it.

FWIW, I would have thought the CJV30-130 would be a better option than the 100. Most stock rolls are 1370 wide, and I would be lost if I couldn't print wider than 1220mm to cover most substrates...

7. mkubiniok

mkubiniok New Member

May 26, 2012
    The last 4 weeks I habe thought about the right size and model. I always habe to print 2 x 150cm length x 40cm width. The cjv in 130 is approx 4500 Euro more expensive. And here in Germany i get my favorite foil also in 100cm width. I do not make stickers in small and different sizes for other companies. It's always the same size. So i have calculated everything, machine and future cost and I think that the cjv in 100 is the best solution for me.