• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki CJV30-130 vs. Roland SP 540i

31legen

Mimaki

I've had my cjv for about a year. I'm running the ss21 4 color inks and am very impressed with it still. The ss21 inks are a lot better than the Eco-inks and there's more profiles available. I do a lot of fleet graphics and it's pretty common to do a 20" x 165" long decal and have had zero issues with the print quality or cutting. I always laminate my prints. The rasterlink software is very user friendly and easy to adjust and work with.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The Roland you are asking about uses two 10+ year old technology Epson DX4 print heads for a total of 4 ink channels. The heads get out of alignment, it is quite a chore to get them back perfectly aligned. Much more frequent cleaning and maintenance needed on the old DX4 head based machines. This model also only has a 2 stage heating system.

Mimaki CJV series uses a single much newer (5 year old technology but still very current) Epson DX5 print head with 8 ink channels which, if setup as dual CMYK (this is the ideal configuration) will be capable of well over double the print speed. Also with a single DX5 head there are zero alignment issues between channels or heads. Much easier maintenance. 3 stage heating system.

There is more to it of course but the CJV if a technologically far newer machine than the particular Roland you mention. I've never owned a Roland but I do believe the older models are solid machines. I know the Mimaki machines are solid workhorses that just go and go and go and also have an excellent media handling system compared to most other brands.

jwindsor

Roland vs Mimaki

Have had both. Currently have a CJV30-130. Love it. Three stage heating and the media handling are big plus. Use SS-21 inks in a CMYKLcLm configuration because we do a lot of canvas art. Have had no banding issues and prints look fantastic. Not as fast in that configuration, but that is ok as I have another 54 inch printer to take up the slack. ES-3 inks don't smell at all, but scratch resistance is not as good. Bought a brand new CJV30-130 at the Indy NBM show last year for $9995.00 delivered, set-up, two sets of ink, and a two year warranty. Don't know if they still have that deal, but it would not hurt to ask. Have a Merry Christmas.

Joe

jwindsor

Some people say yes, some say no. If you are just doing signs, banners, stickers, etc I would go dual CMYK. If you are planning to do any type of photography or fine art (giclee) the 6 color is the way to go. Be advised, however, that the print speed with six color is slower than dual CMYK, but still was faster than my Roland.

Joe

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
The gamut is no larger (light cyan is still cyan, light magenta is still magenta, both add precisely zero to the gamut) but you can achieve slightly smoother gradations in certain tones like light skin tones very light skies, etc. The difference for 98% of people will be unnoticeable. If your primary market is vehicle graphics, banners, displays, signage, etc then do not bother with LcLm. If you specialize in prints for professional photographers and artists then you might consider 6 color.

To be honest - we have always run dual CMYK and over the years I have done plenty of work for both artists and pro photographers and have never once had a complaint about quality.

Now if you can find the ink and a RIP that will support it you could run something like CMYKOG (orange and green) - that will greatly expand the gamut. Mimaki does have some options in their SS21 inks, they have light cyan, light magenta, white, metallic silver, and newly introduced light black and orange. You would need their latest version of Rasterlink to run many of these configurations though.