• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Mimaki Dryer damaging Vinyl?

LanceWest

Hello all. First let me say that I am not only new to the forum but to the process of Print/Cut Vinyl.

We are running a Mimaki CJV 150-75 along with Rasterlink 6 V5.15 and Finecut 8. I have had no proper training on this machine and have been figuring it out as I go. I have managed to set up a print/cut job and align the two steps (pretty proud of that one). The issue is now with Print/Cut heat transfers. On smaller prints, 4" x 4" or so, there is no problem. But on larger jobs, 12" x 9", I am having difficulty with the vinyl. Weeding is going fine. But after applying the carrier film over the vinyl I cannot remove the film from the back. it pulls at the vinyl and stretches it or pulls it from the adhesive sheet.

We are using Briteline G-Flex Supersoft 233 with the recommended HTV 854 Transfer tape.

My thoughts are that the dryers on the printer are heating the vinyl too much and causing it to bond with its carrier sheet. On smaller jobs it hasn't been a problem. Has anybody had this problem or some suggestions on what the problem might be?

unclebun

It's a common problem with that type of material to have trouble getting it off the carrier paper. Squeegee the application tape onto the transfer material HARD. Then turn it backing paper up and carefully peel it off. You'll need to pull the backing paper across itself at a 180 degree angle and press on the material as you go to keep it stuck to the application tape.

If you're using the manufacturer's settings for printer temperature you won't have trouble with activating the adhesive. Most materials press at 300+ degrees, whereas your printer should be at a much lower temperature.

LanceWest

It's a common problem with that type of material to have trouble getting it off the carrier paper. Squeegee the application tape onto the transfer material HARD. Then turn it backing paper up and carefully peel it off. You'll need to pull the backing paper across itself at a 180 degree angle and press on the material as you go to keep it stuck to the application tape.

If you're using the manufacturer's settings for printer temperature you won't have trouble with activating the adhesive. Most materials press at 300+ degrees, whereas your printer should be at a much lower temperature.

The vinyl we are using is supposed to be applied at 230 degrees F. Our dryers are set around 105. It isn't acting like it was fully set. I tape the applied transfer film to the table to pull the carrier sheet off, pulling a corner up and sliding it along the table moving slowly. Some parts stick to the transfer film while others seem stuck to the carrier sheet. not entirely stuck to it. just enough to pull it from the transfer film and cause wrinkles.

EDIT: Also, smaller jobs work fine so I don't see it being a material problem on its own. There has to be some difference between small jobs and larger ones. Right?

unclebun

Like I said, that is common behavior for these materials. Specialty Materials' Color Print Solvent is worse about it.

Your printer heat settings are probably too high though. We use Preheat at 95 degrees (35 C), print at 86 degrees (30 C), dry at 95 (35 C), for a material that presses at 275 F.

LanceWest

Thanks for the input. I am a complete novice here. I was washing screens in a screen printing shop and my boss asked if I wanted to try my hand in the art department. I am an artist by nature but this is teetering on technician stuff in my mind. Thanks again. I will adjust those.

LanceWest

I called grimco. They said to Try peeling the Transfer tape off of the carrier sheet instead of the carrier sheet from the transfer tape. It seems to have worked on a previously messed up piece so I am trinting another right now to try it.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
We have had luck by doing it this way. When you are ready to use the heat transfer lay it down on a table face down. Re-squeegee it, hard. Then start a corner to peel the backing off, then snatch the heck out of it fast and hard. Surprisingly this generally works great for us.