• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki DX5 head variations & compatibility

All Color Signs

Good day to all. I have been trying to get everything sorted out in my head regarding the Epson heads used in my Mimaki JV-5 printer. The Mimaki part # is M007947 and is stupid in price. Some suggestion has been that you can use the JV33 head without the 'board' and transfer the one off the old head. Others have suggested that will generate an error code. Can someone please clarify the differences and explain what my options are with my JV-5? I have no problem swapping manifolds, circuit boards or whatever, I just don't want to buy something that has no chance of working.
Thanks

4R Graphics

You can change manifolds but you can not change the board it is a part of the head assembly.

To my knowledge the JV-5 has to run the OEM head.

I am not sure but I believe I read somewhere that the older firmware in the JV-5 would allow you to run the JV33 head and the china made heads as well.

I know that you need older firmware to run non oem heads in the JV33 (I have one of these printers)

Sorry I couldnt be more help.

Good Luck.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Yup, just not as much info out there where people have experimented with non-oem heads on JV5 machines. From what I have read they are even pickier than JV33 machines. It is possible though that some early firmware for the machine might allow one to use non-oem heads in one though. I discovered it on our JV33 through trial and error when I put a non-oem head in it. Got the dreaded device construction error. Having read early on with JV33 machines that some had gotten aftermarket heads in that work fine and some could not I dug in the firmware a bit and found a Mimaki document that showed on version 3 firmware that some new head checking code had been implemented. I downgraded the machine from 4.4 down to 2.2 and it magically started working perfectly fine.

Also tested re-upgrading the firmware in the hopes that maybe once the machine accepts a non-oem head with the older firmware it might "save" something that allows it to accept it from there on out. No go, as soon as I upgraded the firmware the error comes right back. I generally prefer to keep machines firmware updated as new firmware often times fixes issues or adds new features. In this case however I've seen zero ill effects from staying with version 2.20 and that is the ONLY way you can currently use a non-oem printhead in a JV33 that I know of.

inkmed

Original JV5 head and original JV33 heads are same, with green cable connector.
There is a memory PCB in JV5, but you did not need change the memory PCB when you change the head. This PCB will keep with printer.

Mimaki JV5 can only use original this JV5/JV33 head with green connector, non compatible head.

Mimaki JV33 can use Epson DX5 head like F186000/F186010.

When you buy a original JV5/JV33 head with green connecter, it is doesn't mater of the firmware. We know these printer and printerheads so well because many of our customers using these printers.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

Attachments

• JV5 head with memory PCB.jpg
    JV5 head with memory PCB.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 291

All Color Signs

Thanks everyone. Adam, it seems you have the most experience regarding this printer. Are you saying that I only need the print head with the green connector and I can take the 'PCB' off the old heads and put them on the new heads? Is the 'PCB' you refer to the part that is held onto the head with the spring clips or what? Sorry, not a tech so I do not know the proper name for the parts of the head. If you could post a pic and ID the parts, that would be great. That being said, what do I need to be up and running and how much if you sell what I need. Also, are they henuine Epson/Mimaki heads?
Thanks
Darwin

Masseria

I've replaced in my jv33 with no original printhead, and i put the OEM green electronic connector.. and keep printing fine. Just make sure this electronics dont touch ink specially solvent. so you can replace it ... Other solution is like sightline says because of firmware... but its easy to unstick these electronic and put it in the non-original printhead.

inkmed

Hi Darwin,

Sorry for my late reply, a little busy these days.
Yes, many of our clients useing or service Mimaki JV5, so we know it well too.
please check the attached pictures. There are spacrate JV5 head pcb and JV5 head without pcb.
when you need new JV5 head, just buy head without pcb, like my picture.
and your current JV5 on printer is same like my picture in my last post, with pcb.
take out the pcb and fit on new head, it is OK.
So, we say the pcb was keep with printer, just change the printer head is Ok. It can save cost.

Not paid member, I can not show our email here, if you have other questions please leave me a private massage, that I can reply you in time.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

Thanks everyone. Adam, it seems you have the most experience regarding this printer. Are you saying that I only need the print head with the green connector and I can take the 'PCB' off the old heads and put them on the new heads? Is the 'PCB' you refer to the part that is held onto the head with the spring clips or what? Sorry, not a tech so I do not know the proper name for the parts of the head. If you could post a pic and ID the parts, that would be great. That being said, what do I need to be up and running and how much if you sell what I need. Also, are they henuine Epson/Mimaki heads?
Thanks
Darwin

Attachments

• JV5 head pcb.jpg
    JV5 head pcb.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 298
  • jv5 head without pcb.jpg
    jv5 head without pcb.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 328

b6hs

Sign
I've replaced in my jv33 with no original printhead, and i put the OEM green electronic connector.. and keep printing fine. Just make sure this electronics dont touch ink specially solvent. so you can replace it ... Other solution is like sightline says because of firmware... but its easy to unstick these electronic and put it in the non-original printhead.

Hello guys

where can we find a F186000 / F186010 DX5 ?
Should this trick works with a mimaki cjv30 ?

Thanks

kensign

HI ALL. mimaki cjv 30-130. I have been looking for the firmwares and FWUpdateTool. could anyone share with me and I am going to have a try to downgrade, My is 3.00 version ,try lower to 2.20 or under.I see some firmeware for jv33. Could they be used by cjv 30.
my email signtech@shaw.ca Thanks very much..