• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki eco solvent uv direct print on HIP vinyl for docks on lake

graphics22

Does anyone have experience with direct printing on reflective that is going to be by water (not salt) making dock slips tags, so not underwater, but obviously close. I am leaning towards using vinyl in lieu of direct printing but would prefer direct printing if anyone out there has experience with direct printing working just fine for a few years in this environment

Superior_Adam

We have only printed HIP reflective on our UV and Latex machines. Print them then laminate and you should get 3-5 years at least.

Superior_Adam

with eco solvent anything you do outdoors should be laminated in all reality any vinyl printed eco solvent should be laminated. If your not going to laminate you will need to apply vinyl on top of the HIP.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Thank you for your input. We are not including laminate, hence the questions re: vinyl vs printing
Why not? Laminating (especially in this application/location) would be the logical thing to do, regardless of if it's direct printed or solvent printed.

signheremd

Does anyone have experience with direct printing on reflective that is going to be by water (not salt) making dock slips tags, so not underwater, but obviously close. I am leaning towards using vinyl in lieu of direct printing but would prefer direct printing if anyone out there has experience with direct printing working just fine for a few years in this environment
If you direct print in case like this then you must use a UV laminate. The light that is reflected back off the water increases UV exposure dramatically. If you use vinyl, then no need for laminate.