• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Is Banding, Bad Test Cleans

Imminent Death

I came in today, did my normal cleaning on the Mimaki, started a print, and it came out looking like pure hell.

The print was missing a lot of color and there was some serious banding. I've done 3 strong cleanings, made sure the heads (the little metal things with holes that sit in the little trays where you fill your cleaning solution) were clean, and the normal custody wash.

On the test draws, the black and yellow look pretty bad (about half of the little rectangles missing). After doing all the above mentioned items, it does the same thing. The yellow looks a bit better, but that's about it.

What are some things I can try before dropping $$$ on getting a tech out here?

UPDATE: I was doing another strong cleaning as I was writing this and now the test draw looks better. About 1/4 of the black rectangles on the test draw are missing, and the yellow looks pretty good. I'm trying another strong cleaning now. It looks like the heads just may have been clogged.

Imminent Death

I'm doing the nozzle wash right now. I hope that works.

I came to this shop after they got the Mimaki, so my "training" on it was quite minimal. Although, I have been able to figure out quite a bit in the last year thanks to this board and trial & error :Cool 2:.

And I too am curious about "filling the ink". As you can tell, my Mimaki terminology is really lacking.

speedmedia

Ok, I figured out the "Fill up ink" under the maintenance heading. Tried that and still have a couple of bad spots on my test print.

I want to do a head wash but the instruction manual is not very clear about what solution to use. Do I use the same carts that the tech cleaned out the printer with when it was installed? The carts say "Pre-Fill up solution" Of course they are expired as well so I assume they won't work? Damn Mimaki and their stupid ass expiration dates...

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

Imminent Death

Ok, I figured out the "Fill up ink" under the maintenance heading. Tried that and still have a couple of bad spots on my test print.

I want to do a head wash but the instruction manual is not very clear about what solution to use. Do I use the same carts that the tech cleaned out the printer with when it was installed? The carts say "Pre-Fill up solution" Of course they are expired as well so I assume they won't work? Damn Mimaki and their stupid ass expiration dates...

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

Could you go into a little more detail about what you're trying? Seriously, I'm needing layman's terms over here.

Imminent Death

I tried the nozzle wash for 10 minutes and it looks the same. I'm doing another one right now for 40 minutes to see if that will help.

The black "clogged" (or blank) squares on my test print are all along the bottom of the rectangle. I don't know if that pinpoints any problems or not...

I'm looking through my Mimaki manual about the head wash... and I too am super confused. What exactly is the cleaning cartridge?

speedmedia

Yeah, I am following your motions and doing a head wash as well. I got her set up for 20 minutes to see if that does anything.

The head cleaning from what the book says uses a "cleaning cartridge" I think that is the same as the carts that come with the printed for flushing the system but I could be wrong. Anyone?

Want to get this thing back to tip top printing as I have a 53' trailer to wrap in the next couple of days.

Thanks,
Kurt Dietrich
Speed Media

Imminent Death

Ok, I did a 40 minute wash and now 4 more black lines appear on my test print. While it's an improvement, it's not what it should be.

I'm going to let it sit on a nozzle wash for 60 minutes to see what happens then.

This sucks.

signguy95

Yeah, the head cleaning uses the same solution that you would use it you were to flush the lines. Install Pre-Fill Solution cartridge and do the head cleaning, when finished it will prompt you to insert color cartridge and then fill the lines pushing out the pre-fill solution.

I think the tech told me that the nozzle wash was something that you should do for atleast 40 minutes, but repeated use might cause damage to the material on the head. Meaning don't do this cleaning all the time, because it can cause premature wear and tear.

I would suggest a 40 minute nozzle wash, followed by a strong cleaning.

Jay

Imminent Death

Yeah, the head cleaning uses the same solution that you would use it you were to flush the lines. Install Pre-Fill Solution cartridge and do the head cleaning, when finished it will prompt you to insert color cartridge and then fill the lines pushing out the pre-fill solution.

I think the tech told me that the nozzle wash was something that you should do for atleast 40 minutes, but repeated use might cause damage to the material on the head. Meaning don't do this cleaning all the time, because it can cause premature wear and tear.

I would suggest a 40 minute nozzle wash, followed by a strong cleaning.

Jay

Ok... so it's a physical cartridge like the ink cartridges? I'm not sure if we have one around here if that's the case.

Still waiting on this 60 minute cleaning.

Lucky thing we're slow today.

signguy95

Yeah I don't keep any pre-fill cartridges either. You probably won't need them unless your moving, special cases of cleaning. I think you will be able to solve this without using them.

I would think you should do a soft cleaning when you get done with the nozzle wash. That way anything that the nozzle wash has broken up in the head will be flushed down the lines and cleared out. Then do a test after that!

Jay

CL Graphics

if you have the foam tip cleaning swabs (don't use the cotton ones) you can dip one in cleaning solution and gently wipe the underside of the printhead after doing the nozzle wash. If this doesnt help do the fill up ink as others have suggested. If still no good then you probably need new printheads.

ICEdesign

Well if i was you..least for next time before you leave for the weekend..make sure the heads are seated properly. Happens to me every once in a while too if the heads are seated correctly..usually an easy fix but guess your having some problems.

umm best thing i could think of would be that cleaning cartridge..if you dont have one..i would recommend getting one..just for days like this :p

Imminent Death

Whew! Here's the story thus far.

I did the 60 minute nozzle wash, followed by a soft cleaning... more lines are appearing, but only a few at a time.

I did the Fill Up Ink and a LOT of black lines came up! While doing the Fill Up Ink has by far helped the most, there are still blank spots on the test square. There are (rough guestimate) 25 tiny squares towards the bottom that still show blank.

Is there any final thing I can do to get it back into original working shape? SignGuy95 mentioned not to do these cleanings all the time, so I want to make so I'm not doing something that won't screw the machine up.

Imminent Death

Hey, guess what? Advantage just now called back on my tech support ticket!

So they've told me that everything I've done thus far was the correct thing to do. I'm almost back to the point where the Test Draw is showing no "clogged nozzle squares".

They recommended doing 1 more 60 minute nozzle cleaning, with possibly a soft clean if needed.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Damn, our Mimaki was apparently really filthy. Learn as you go, I guess.