• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JFX 500 'Refill Water'

JohnBoy1972

I work at Skywatch Signs in Zephyrhills, FL. We have a Mimaki JFX 500-2131.

The machine is about 3 years old with relatively small

amount of problems. However, the other week it gave me a

message about 'water lack' so I read up on the problem,

drained the water out of both tanks then refilled per

the instructions. It printed for a week or so after that

no problem. Then on this past Saturday, i tried to print

and it gave me a message on the control box

saying'refill water' so I checked the tanks and they

still have enough fluid in them, I put a bit more fluid

in and still won't let me print and the message won't go

away, it won't let me run a cleaning either.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The first error you got means the lamps were overheating and the second one means it detected low coolant. When you fill the coolant from empty most of the time it requires you to turn the machine on and let it cycle for a little bit to fill the lines and then you need to add more to fill it completely. I'd double check the tanks to make sure they don't just need more coolant.

Also, if you didn't use distilled water, there's a possibility the lines are just clogged. Non-distilled water has minerals that can build up over time.

Edit: Also make sure you're using 2 to 1 water to coolant. Straight water will not work properly.

Last edited:

JohnBoy1972

The first error you got means the lamps were overheating and the second one means it detected low coolant. When you fill the coolant from empty most of the time it requires you to turn the machine on and let it cycle for a little bit to fill the lines and then you need to add more to fill it completely. I'd double check the tanks to make sure they don't just need more coolant.

Also, if you didn't use distilled water, there's a possibility the lines are just clogged. Non-distilled water has minerals that can build up over time.

Also make sure you're using 6 to 1 water to coolant. Straight water will not work properly.
I only use distilled water and the lines seem to be full of liquid, I did use anti freeze mixed in at 6 parts. I am wondering is there a way to clear the code error? If the lines are clogged I wouldn't know how to tell but that would seem to be another possibility.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I only use distilled water and the lines seem to be full of liquid, I did use anti freeze mixed in at 6 parts. I am wondering is there a way to clear the code error? If the lines are clogged I wouldn't know how to tell but that would seem to be another possibility.

You can clear the error log but that won't stop the error from popping up. Mimaki keeps it simple. There's a float sensor that reads the water level and if it's too low it just gives the error. Maybe the float sensor is stuck? I'd give it a few taps to see if maybe it's just stuck in the low position.

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
You can clear the error log but that won't stop the error from popping up. Mimaki keeps it simple. There's a float sensor that reads the water level and if it's too low it just gives the error. Maybe the float sensor is stuck? I'd give it a few taps to see if maybe it's just stuck in the low position.
I'm pretty sure the Water to Coolant ratio is 2 to 1.

JohnBoy1972

I'm pretty sure the Water to Coolant ratio is 2 to 1.
Yes it is, and thats what I actually did,I was reading something just before I was typing my response and I think I repeated that, but last week when I was mixing I did in fact make it two parts water to one part anti freeze. Not sure where the float sensor is, I don't see anything there.