• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV-33 USB port probably damaged.

Brilliant

Hello, I posted this on Computer Hardware forum at first thinking I it was a computer hardware issue, but it turns out it is also a printer issue as well.

To cut the long story short, I had a power surge which damaged my computer's USB ports, but it turns out it may have also damaged my printer's USB port too. The printer starts normally and does every function I tried from its menu. Gives no errors. But there is no more communication with the pc. I've installed a usb PCI card which works fine with every other USB device I try on. I try different USB cables all tested on other devices and working. And still no communication. My technician says it "may" be the printer's USB port but he's not sure. I ask if he will be sure by visiting me and checking it out.. he says we still can't be sure, the only way to know is to order a new port and replace it.

If anyone can give me any sort of information about this issue I would highly appreciate it.

Thank you

kffernandez

yep!

if it was really a power surge... there is a good chance that it hit your mimaki's communication controller as well.

last year, i had an electrical surge caused by a nearby lightning strike. the surge traveled from my dsl line to my modem, to my router, to my pc and to my roland's ethernet controller. everything was working except all my network equipment [router, pc's network controller, modem, printer's network controller] there wasn't any fire, spark or anything. they just stopped working.

i dunno about mimaki's but my roland's network controller was a replacable part for about $900. i was good to go once i replaced that part. [along with the other components that stopped working]

until now, i still don't know how i'm supposed to prevent it from happening again.

kelly

Brilliant

My technician says that he doesn't know weather if the USB port on the JV-33 is a separate part or if it belongs on the mainboard. He says if it is attached to the mainboard I will need to replace the whole mainboard and it will cost me 1700 euro. If it is not attached to the mainboard it will probably cost me "around" 200-300 euro.

Please let me know any information about this. Do you know if it is attached on the mainboard or not? Do you know if those prices sound right?

Thank you,

Brilliant

Turns out the USB port is indeed on the mainboard and not a separate part.

I found this

It says it's the original part with Mimaki warranty. Price is nearly half the price my technician says. So can anyone verify please? How can I be sure it's an original part?

Oh and another thing... since the printer itself seems to be working fine... it starts normally, does cleaning normally, gives no error messages, but simply doesn't get recognized by the PC. So lets assume the port got damaged and nothing else. Is there no way to fix it without replacing the mainboard?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Just to be absolutely sure.... you did try connecting it to another computer right? If the drivers are installed on another machine and once connected it shows in device manager properly then you will know for certain if it's the JV33 or not.

SAS

I had the same thing happen to me. I got http://www.jemmings.com/ to replace mine. I think it was around $1400 U.S. and $700 to get a tech out. They are a merchant member here.
I was told the JV33 USB is attached to the mainboard and the JV5 is not. The old mainboard they would have gave me $50 for it. At the time I was going to send it back to them to get it repaired but never did. My UPS caught on fire inside, that is what caused mine to fry. I filed a claim with APC and mailed them UPS and they paid off.

Brands Imaging

Yes, the USB is 100% attached to the mainboard and its more then likely that the USB is not your only problem.

The goo news is that you can ave the 700.00 and replace it yourself. Its completely plug and play. I just did mine about a month ago b/c my motherboard "went" also. How? I have no idea. I paid 1,380.00 for mine from advantage. Also, if you buy it from them they will probably walk you through, although there is no need to. Trust me, I'm not one of these guys who rips apart my JV-33 cause I think its fun or I know how to do ****. This was an easy job, 45min.

Good luck.