• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3 160S Boot Up Problem

adseureka

Hey all,

First off, any information will be better than the none am currently stuck with.

Had an issue last week for error code 07 (----*-) so I called my tech man and got some testing info.
Swapped the two print head cables on the slider board for the indicated head... Power off, Unplugged, glove-wielding, and carefully matching connectors.
Received error code 07 as expected but with (-----*) as it should. I then powered down the printer, unplugged said printer and left it that way while I ordered parts and waited for shipping. Turned it on shortly before receiving parts, head still unplugged from slider board, to check ink levels and everything was normal as could be.
Later that afternoon after some install fun I returned to the print room, parts in hand.
Turned the machine off (when I say turned it off I mean that I push green button on front, white button on back and then unplug the power cable) waited a few minutes while I got the parts out then I began unplugging the slider board that I was going to replace.
I ordered two head to slider data cables and a new slider board for the head to slider replacement.
I Removed all cables connected to the slider board as well as the 3 cables connected on the left of the board, as you would have to replace the board.
Plugged the 2 new data cables for the head, into the head.
Took the (OLD)slider board off, Replaced it with (NEW)slider board and proceeded to plug the top 5 ribbon cables back in.
It its possible that I may have crimped these cables upon putting them back in for the space was tight and didn't have too many options... Later realized grid-pattern needle-nose pliers worked well to grab the cables from the sides to effectively insert them more accurately and gently. However, I digress.
May have crimped main cables upon inserting them back into the board(NEW)/*\ put every other cable back into its respective slot.
***NOTE: To remove and install the new slider board I used a Ryobi cordless drill with a chuck setting of 1, for those of you that don't know, that is less than a usual hand tightening***
Once everything was back in order I plugged the machine power cable back in, turned power on(white switch first then green button on) and I could hear the fans come up but not the usual capping station clicking, carriage movement, and display screen readout of "BOOT-then-V3.10" in fact nothing other then the fans even happened.
To sum this up, I follow those same steps in reverse to put the (OLD)board back in and try it again seeing as it worked fine the morning that I began the swap.
Still to the same tune as the (NEW)board... Fans and nothing more.
Followed the same steps back to the new board... Nothing more than fans.
Followed my usual safety steps, Unplugged all the cables, plugged the machine in, turned it on...white then NOT green... and I left it on probably an 2 hours ago... bear in mind the new slider board is in. The cables, all of them, are unplugged and I figured I would look into some issues or solutions someone else has had after spending half of the interim checking almost every cable on the machine and no signs of wear or damage. Checked every board except power board and they look fine(which anyone who knows about circuit boards knows that just because they look fine doesn't mean there is nothing wrong but a visual inspection is usually a good start).
And that is the tale of how this Cali-Boy got stumped.

Now that I have finished this essay, does anyone know how to get ahold of wiring diagrams of these machines or is that Mimaki technical classified stuff?

Atop of all my spiel, where you see this /*\ in my writing, the machine, after the final steps I mentioned about surfing the web for solutions my printer gave an all inspiring beep. A beep that said hey dad im back from the dead. So if you have this problem, and im not out of the frying pan just yet, then maybe just try what I did. Ill let you all know how the replugging goes. Just remember to wear rubber gloves when messing with those boards and be gentle with your wires people those circuit safety precautions aren't for you they're for your wallet... Printer parts aren't cheap.

adseureka

Repluggin - in parts

As far as plugging the cables back in goes I know I have a problem somewhere, I just don't know what just yet.
In order to isolate my issue I decided to start simply and break down my issue.
The cables that connect to the slider board I broke into three parts, the top 5 cables, the left 3 wires, and the 6 head data cables.
Following the safety steps I listed above I plugged the left three wire cables first because I followed them to the IO PCB and the front panel area.
Booted up normal.
Then I installed the top five cables.
Booted up normal.
Then I installed the 6 head data cables and nothing but fan.
I then broke the data cables into sections. Head1, Head2 and Head3.
Installed the leftmost head's (OLD)cables, with the other 2 heads disconnected.
Booted up normal.
Installed the middle head's (OLD)cables, with last head disconnected.
Booted up normal.
Installed the rightmost head's (NEW)cables, now all heads are connected.
Failed to boot properly, just fans.
Changed the Lm (NEW) cable with and (OLD)cable and booted up normal, so there was something wrong with the new cable for Lm or the port on either, print head or slider board... Need to figure this one out with the captain. Captain Morgan that is

Does anyone know what could cause that port solely to fail or the cable?
The Printer is old...? already ruled out ink spillage.

adseureka

Anything, Anyone?

Now when printing I hear a high pitched noise and its not delivering any ink through the carrige/heads.

Anything, anyone?

heyskull

This could still be an electrical issue.
Turn off the machine by the power, then unplug it completely from the supply, then press the power button on and off 6 times.
Replug the machine in and see if it fires up.
Failing this I reckon it may still be a cable problem so replace all the head cables as I have found JV3s to be very very fussy about head cables (this is the cheapest test).
Then if still no go I would guess the slider board has fried and maybe even issues with the main board.
It could even be a dodgy print head that is still causing the fault!

Very basically that is it on these machines.

SC

If I'm reading this correctly. It sounds like the printer is booting with the Head Cables disconnected, but fails to boot when the LM/LC head is connected, is that correct?

If this is the case then it sounds like your LM/LC head has an electrical fault and will need to be replaced. If you have an old head that is still electrically good (i.e. Was removed because it was scratched or had missing nozzles) then you can try testing with this connected - you don't even have to mount it, just tuck it in the carriage with the cables connected. If you can boot and do a test draw (on the other 4 colors) then this was your problem.

We have solvent JV3 heads in stock at some of the best prices around if needed.

cheers,

Dave Mee

Airborneltp

I have a JV3-160sp and not sure if this is the model you have. However I had the same head problem and my tech looked all around and said it was my slider board... I bought a new one replaced it and it did the same error.... I called solvent inkjet and the guy was awesome and patient with me and walked me through some steps.... comes to find out it was a seating problem with my cables... not just to the slider board but to the heads and the main board.....

the slider board cables that hook up to the mainboard had one that wasn't seated properly and I reseated it and that solved my issue.... also the ribbon cables I bought were folded during delivery and very flimsy.... I ordered new ones from someone else and they were sturdy.

Long story short... check ALL CONNECTIONS!!!!!!! and if your ribbon cables are slightly damaged id replace them first before buying more expensive stuff.

MikePro

uncertain why you had to replace the slider board, seeing as how the error followed your ribbon cables when you swapped them initially.
I'll read more, but original problem sounded like it was just a bad ribbon cable.

adseureka

Able to boot up

I was able to boot up the machine properly with the light magenta head to board cable replaced with one of the older ones(the ones that were replaced initially). I have received poor results plus my heads were dried out from non capping during my wait for new parts.

Does anyone know how to purge this machine color by color or in other words, one color at a time?

heyskull

As for purging the system colour by colour, I don't think it is possible unless you disconnect the pump lines to that head.
Also on each head their is two colours, so you cannot purge just one at a time.
Personally I would do a head wash, start it off and then turn the machine off and unplug the machine before it finishes then leave over night. This extends the time the head is washed. Then restart in the morning.
I think as you have, this to be either a head cable or a dodgy print head.

SC

adseureka

Did a force purge and a head swap

Alright, so the new cables and board left me with the same results I was getting before, only this time(after the board exchange) I cant get light magenta or light cyan to print. They share a head.

I had another head lying around so I plugged that in. My results werent expected now the light magenta wrong-spray(a word i made up to describe the magenta coming out in a solid band) was gone but no light magent or light cyan would come out of the head. i did clean the board with isopropyl alcohol and may have had a drop of mimaki cleaning solution hit the board but didnt put it back in until everything was dry again.

Anyone have an idea what could be going on? Did I shoot myself by getting some cleaner on the board?

If I had more AAA batts. I would add a photo... in fact next week ill add some photos...