• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki jv3 160s Media Trouble

meltade

Hello, I habe a Mimaki JV3 160s, the media sensor SAY NOT MATERIAL
habe changed a one new and the issue are same, I move the sensor holder and work for a moment but need put a small wite patch after flex edge, then when turn of and on again, the Error come again NO MATERIAL
so how can fix it? some body can helpme?
thanks
:banghead:

bmw_ante

Hello, I habe a Mimaki JV3 160s, the media sensor SAY NOT MATERIAL
habe changed a one new and the issue are same, I move the sensor holder and work for a moment but need put a small wite patch after flex edge, then when turn of and on again, the Error come again NO MATERIAL
so how can fix it? some body can helpme?
thanks
:banghead:

Have you tried upgrading the firmware?

MikePro

did you try putting material into it?
hahaha, simple answer - yes, but did you put it in the right place?

the media sensor, you'll notice, is in the back of the printer behind the media rollers towards the top of the curve of the media platen. if no material is covering it, you'll get an error saying you have no material loaded. Also noted that if this becomes uncovered during your print, your printer will end the print and say the same error.

housemusikid

Try canned air on your media sensor. Also, the black rubber piece that is set in the platen...that is what your sensor uses to find the edge of the material. It looks for the contrast between black and white. Try cleaning that also.

tbaker

on many older jv3's the black sensor strip on the front has either been cut to pieces or is missing, or very dirty, which can lead to media detection issues.

If the black strip is missing, try cutting a thin strip of black vinyl and putting it in there to give the sensor something to register the media off of.

Medo

I need help

I have MIMAKI jv33-160 printer, giving this message ***ERROR 50***
"No media detect"
I've noticed that the sensor can detect the paper start but never detect the paper end!!

I've tried all these solutions:

# Cleaning the media sensor.
# Replacing the media sensor.
# Checking the sensor cables.
# Cleaning both the black rubber and the paper area.
# Replacing the board of sensors.

I still have the same problem after all that!!:frustrated:

Does the Linear Encoder causes such a problem?:help

I'll be happy to hear any new solutions....

artbot

make sure that side of the printer isn't in the shadows. it's needs some decent contrast sometimes. for now, just do a manual media width in the rip and bypass the firmware.

Medo

Thanks for reply,
for now, just do a manual media width in the rip and bypass the firmware.

How can I do that?! the printer don't respond to any command after checking the paper and showing the error message!

I have some doubts in the linear Encoder.. but the problem is that the local distributor don't have any .. I had to wait ...:doh::doh:

artbot

the linear encoder is a testable observable part. if it looks pristine, forget it. get a flashlight, a business card and a magnifying glass, go down the strip and observe every inch of it.

whether you have a bad strip or a good one, that will only result in it not counting enough lines and or adding distance on the way back while printing.

when you say, "replacing the board of sensors" what is that?

couple questions... will it not even measure an 8.5x11? when it gets to the other end of the media, does it search for the edge? ... or just abort?

artbot

the results you are getting don't make sense. i might blame the firmware. there's reloading and or upgrading. but keep in mind that there is a firmware upgrade for the jv33 that causes your printer to reject standard dx5 heads. sightline should be able to inform you of what this is about. the fact that it won't even measure a small piece of paper means you don't have a physical/light/mechanical issue, you've switched out the sensors. there's a slightest chance that the new sensor is bad, but it would reproduce the same effect. it would be broken in a different way. and when you say it won't measure anything, this is a stupid question, but you do have the end of the paper/media hanging far off the platen, right?

Medo

the results you are getting don't make sense

I know that..this problem driving me crazy!! :frustrated:

but you do have the end of the paper/media hanging far off the platen, right?

what do you mean? .. I've tried different paper sizes.. and as you know the media should be within the measuring range...

what confuses me that work conditions haven't changed & no accidents happened.. Suddenly the printer stopped working displaying ***ERROR 50***..etc.. :doh:!!!

Now I'm waiting for the new Encoder sensor .. if the problem still after replacing it .. I'll contact with MIMAKI ..

Medo

I've checked the Encoder sensor & it's strip .. every thing is ok!!
I've sent the hole problem description to MIMAKI ..
waiting for reply now .. I think that there are no more solutions I can try!

:thankyou: artbot