• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3 160s

no2yes2man2

For the mimaki JV3-160s what brand of inks do you prefer using on the machine. I'm currently using a bulk ink setup but the smell is more intense I think, but maybe its just me.

Wanted some ideas what other people are using for this machine? I am venting it directly outside, but is that enough venting?

Thanks guys for your input. I'm new to the site but love it already.

eforer

Any ink in the JV3 will require pretty intense ventilation. Don't let the mild or eco fool you, its bad for you. We use the JVS triangle inks which are the full solvent inks. We have an isolated print room with a window for viewing and 2000cfm of ventilation on top of the machine with inline helper fans. If I, or an employee ventures in while its running, we have custom fit respirators for everyone there hanging by the door. IMO, ventilation is cheap when you consider the durability and quality of the JVS inks. That said, your health is priceless so don't take it lightly.

no2yes2man2

Any ink in the JV3 will require pretty intense ventilation. Don't let the mild or eco fool you, its bad for you. We use the JVS triangle inks which are the full solvent inks. We have an isolated print room with a window for viewing and 2000cfm of ventilation on top of the machine with inline helper fans. If I, or an employee ventures in while its running, we have custom fit respirators for everyone there hanging by the door. IMO, ventilation is cheap when you consider the durability and quality of the JVS inks. That said, your health is priceless so don't take it lightly.

thanks i'll take that into consideration since im in the same room as that machine the whole day while its running.

eforer

I don't mean this to be obnoxious sounding or anything, but thats really not safe. You should at least come up with some sort of temporary partition etc. Read the MSDS sheets on all solvent (mild and eco too) inks and you have a recipe for a short life. Can you just frame a quickie wall?? Do you have an easy access exterior wall to add ventilation too? For the sake of your health do something to rectify that situation immediately. In the interim get fitted for a mask and wear it.

Good luck, and take care of yourself.

ColesCreations

Being in the same room as your printer while printing, is much like putting ink into a bag, and placing your face over it breathing it in.

We run SS2, and just the printers fan venting outside.
Printing full coverage is far from healthy environment, we use masks while in the same room. If you ever feel the effect of the solvent (light-headed / dizzy), you are getting brain damage, which is irreversible.

iSign

I am venting it directly outside, but is that enough venting?

you can't just say "venting" and expect anyone to know what that means.
...does it just mean sticking the duct hoses into a hole?

I hope not.

As you notice, eforer mentiones "inline helper fans"

I think you want to identify the volume of total area around the printer, the distance to the exterior wall & the ratings of the fans. I use an air duster, so I'm not up to speed on all the specs of a fan, it's ventilation capicity & how the volume or distance effect the equation... but I'm pretty sure those are the kinds of facts and figures you will need to take into account to properly solve this issue. And I absolutely agree that, one way or the other, you need to resolve it TOMORROW!

robwaterman

solvent fumes

I've noticed the fumes on a JV3-130 and 160 sp. both are vented with a secondary unit outside, but that is not enough.

Years ago, when I didn't know any better I was getting light headed/dizzy from the exposure. I bought a respirator and wear it when it when I notice it now. But after reading this thread it makes me want to increase the precautions I take.

Does anyone know how often to change the respirator cartridges? I'm using tandem NORTH 7500-3

CreatedDesigns

I'm not 100% sure on the mask and cartridges you have. But I use a lot of Scott safety and 3m stuff and they are usually only good for 30 days from time of opening.

MikePro

Zombie thread but it's overkill if u feel the need to wear a mask when operating a jv3, or any solvent printer, unless you're operating it in a closet. Get a carbon filter unit or exhaust out of your building.