• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3-160SP Firmware update

folvacny

Hello,

i would like to update firmware on my JV3-160SP from old version 3.10 to latest version 7.3. Are there some surprises during updating ? I have found post, where was written that is possible to update on latest firmware only from some older versions. Is it true? Eventually from which versions is possible to update on latest version?

Is there another way to get the latest firmware except official Mimaki site? (I haven't access to member only section)

particleman

The only piece of equipment I've ever ruined updating firmware was one of our Mimaki JV3 160sp 5+ years ago. Something happened during the firmware update and ruined the main board. So you asked what could happen, that is certainly possible. Why do you want to upgrade it?

heyskull

folvacny
Their was a further explanation of why you couldn't/wouldn't get the firmware from Mimaki earlier, but it has been edited from the post.
Why?

Just register with Mimaki and they will give you what you want if they have it.

Personally I think the main thing updated firmware gives you, is less access to running bulk ink systems and other manufacturers inks.
I have only ever updated one machine and the only thing it did is stop me using third party inks.

SC

folvacny

The reason why i want to update is on recommandation of my ink dealer. He say that i should update to latest firmware because older firmwares has some bugs and printing quality should be worse. This is my first JV3 so i don't know differences between firmwares to say which fw is the best. The firmware which is actually installed in my JV3 is 3.10 and this firmware don't check ink chip (so maybe don't check ink level too?). When i have bought this printer from Germany, there was CISS without chip. Now i have bought cartridges (think that it is good decision on start of this business) with chip. The dealer who sold me that cartridges told me, that never had problem with any firmware and this ink. I am going to use INKTEC cartridges (2x CMYK)

I wanted to register using contact form on their pages. The man ask me on three question (S/N of the printer, date of production, from which dealer this printer was bought when it was new). I have sent him only S/N and told him, that i don't know dealer of this machine and don't know production date because i have bought it as second hand machine to repair.

Now i have it repaired and going to start printing but before cartridges insertation i want to decide if is good to update firmware or not.

(iam sorry for long post)

particleman

You're right, 3.1 was the version that enabled using any bulk ink with no chips. Honestly, you've already done the hard part and don't have to rely on any chips with 3.1, so I would keep it. We originally downgraded to 3.1 to use MegaInk (long ago) and eventually moved to triangle but kept 3.1 since it basically doesn't care what you plug into the machine.

folvacny

so i won't to update firmware. The risk that the main board or slider board will crash is too high. By the way, what is going to fire off on mother board or slider board? I understand, that on mother boards are placed some transistors which are sensitive or higher voltage so it should be burn off. But what on slider? there are mostly capacitors and connectors and few ICs. I have look on ebay and there are lot of auctions where is ordered motherboard or slider board repair service. There is something what commonly burn off?