• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3-160SP Stop trying to print white!

Todd593

I have a Mimaki JV3-160 and no matter what profile or what media I use, it won't ignore the color white in our designs, rather prints a beige that renders the print useless.

Is there any way I can have the printer ignore the white and see it as transparent without welding through everything? It adds hours to design work.

Thank You,

Todd Warden
todd@integritysign.com
812-590-5922

MikePro

should have a true white in your art file.
what rip are you using? in my onyx rip, i'm able to select a color and redefine its CMYK values for final output.

Todd593

I'm using the Production Manager that came with FlexiSIGN Pro 7.6v2 Build 0776 to RIP. I can edit my CMYK values...they're all on 0. If I edit in a different design software (Coral...and I usually do) I publish it to a PDF before opening into Production Manager.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Try setting your whites to RGB 255 255 255? I'm thinking it's something else going on though. Have not used Flexi 7.6 in years (we are on 8.6v2 and 11 now) but we have always used RGB whenever a Pantone spot color is not specified and RGB (0 0 0) for black and (255 255 255) for white.

I see you are opening the files directly in Production Manager though so yeah you would need to try replacing the colors ahead of time then. I'm thinking it might be a rendering intent, profile, or something else though.

Todd593

I switched from exporting a pdf to a bitmap and it seems to be working...only files are huge now. Do you foresee any problems with files too large?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Not as long as your computer can handle it. Need lots of disk space or Flexi will choke. We very often print uncompressed (Adobe RGB profile) tiff images. Some have been upwards of 3 and 4GB (full bus wrap side) in size.

MikePro

i'd want to say profile issue, but never in a million years... well, or 10 years ... of running my mimaki, have I ever seen a white print anything but "nothing". Profile converts colors and will most definitely leave white alone. Increase % values in the rip, it always affects everything else BUT white.

i'd say post a pic of the print and a screenshot of your file, but my best guess is that you've got some outer glow effects/gradients in your file that you don't see the extent of their effect until you put ink to vinyl. ...right on par with steps in gradients, boxes around clipping masks, and so forth. Production FILE issue, would be most likely.

thewood

usually when white prints off-white it is a rendering intent or profile issue

I agree. I had this issue once with 7.6 (I think) where the white in bitmaps would print as off-white. As far as I recall, it was a profile issue.

What are your rendering intents set to? What profile are you using?

Masseria

had same problem with Rasterlink... with some formats... try converting your files to .PDF and print in PDF format...

Todd593

i'd want to say profile issue, but never in a million years... well, or 10 years ... of running my mimaki, have I ever seen a white print anything but "nothing". Profile converts colors and will most definitely leave white alone. Increase % values in the rip, it always affects everything else BUT white.

i'd say post a pic of the print and a screenshot of your file, but my best guess is that you've got some outer glow effects/gradients in your file that you don't see the extent of their effect until you put ink to vinyl. ...right on par with steps in gradients, boxes around clipping masks, and so forth. Production FILE issue, would be most likely.

If I draw a white box (5"X5")....no special anything. It prints the box beige....unless I export as a Bitmap first...that seems to be my only fix. However, I printed a 4X8 sign today that was 4 gigs when exported. The only problem seems to be the size itself (taking up space). But I'd much rather work with smaller files (pdfs), not only for space, but for fewer potential problems. By the way, I publish to pdf from Coral, not flexi. I use Flexi as little as possible...mainly to vinyl plot. Then I open directly to Production Manager (pretty much the $3000 reason we even have flexi). Would love a better solution to printing if anyone has a (preferably open source) solution.

Thanks Again

thewood

There is no such 'rendering intents' function.

Sure there is. It's in the Advanced Options Tab of the RIP under Color Settings.

A few people have asked you what profile and rendering intents you're using. Without this information, it is hard to troubleshoot/diagnosis your issue.

Attachments

• Rendering Intents.jpg
    Rendering Intents.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 131

Todd593

Sure there is. It's in the Advanced Options Tab of the RIP under Color Settings.

A few people have asked you what profile and rendering intents you're using. Without this information, it is hard to troubleshoot/diagnosis your issue.

Okay maybe there is such an animal, but where do I start? I use the profiles I downloaded for the media I use...the rest might as well be in Chinese.

thewood

Okay maybe there is such an animal, but where do I start? I use the profiles I downloaded for the media I use...the rest might as well be in Chinese.

When you go to RIP>Advanced Options>Rendering Intents (as illustrated in my previous post), what does it say?

Where did you download your profiles? From the media manufacturer? From Flexi? The name of the profile will also be in the Advanced Options screen.

Todd593

EVERY profile I've tried does the same thing. While it changes appearances throughout the print, the white does not...it remains beige. But if you need an example, I just tried to print using the profile "MimakiJV3_160SP_Flex_Orajet3651G_SS2_2X4_170" on Glossy Transparent media downloaded from Orajet...however, ANY profile I use (downloaded from Mimaki, Orajet, Flexi, or a third party profile) does the same thing...it won't ignore white....prints it beige.

MixMaker

If you're using a profile that has "WHITE" or "SPECIAL COLOR" it's going to print white where any white pixels are. Make sure this isn't the case, by default you're printing on bright white so it would ignore the white in your images.

I'm assuming you have been provided with a copy of RasterLink with your printer. If all else fails, use that as your RIP.