• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3 160sp

genericname

Never had to do it myself, and the manual only suggests doing a custody wash. I'd imagine you'd want to completely flush the lines too though.

If I were doing it, I'd remove the heads as well, and gently flush those with solvent using two syringes, so they could be stored at room temperature.

Anyone else have more insight into the procedure? Curious myself.

MikePro

i've always thought that you could just run few head washes to flush the lines/heads completely of ink, and then power-down the machine while it is still full of cleaning solution.

all the lines/dampers/heads are solvent-resistant, and have withstood having ink constantly in them over the years... so one can only assume that they will hold up just fine being parked full of cleaning solution for an extended period of time.

are you eventually trying to sell it? keep my machine in mind if the potential buyer wants another to complete a working set :) ...i will most likely be taking my own advice in the near-future. ink carts runnin' low and the printer is about to self-clean itself bone-dry.

genericname

Just an employee, so I have no say in selling, though we may be in the market for a flatbed in the next couple of years. Will probably always keep one JV3 around though. These things are tanks, and a joy to work on.

Sure, they can sit with solvent in them for ages, but I wouldn't do that in a cold environment, or a place with temperature fluctuations. If I had any hope of using or selling it in the future, I'd flush the lines, clean the pumps, remove the heads, flush them with solvent and store properly, throw out the dampers, and have only air in the lines before tossing it in storage.

Besides, the idea of a printer with any fluid in it, while in transit, terrifies me. We bought our second one from someone who didn't decommission it properly, so there was still ink in the lines. By the time it got to us, there was ink all the way down the legs of the bloody thing, and it made its way there through the boards.

That was a long day spent with solvent cleaner, a fan, and a giant box of q-tips.

ChicagoGraphics

Thanks for all the replys.

No I'm not selling it, we were all told that we had to move out of the building by the end of Dec., and instead of rushing to find another location I figured I'd store my printer untill I find a a good location that fits our needs instead of just jumping into the first thing I find.

I will probaly end up taking the heads out they are still perfectly good.

MikePro

aye, thanks gen!
i'll definitely keep that in mind if i ever do completely decommision the printer to sell/transport:
flush, flush, flush, drain, remove heads, clean everything, and package/secure assuming a bumpy-ride in transit.

I've kept all my packages from replacement printheads, so they'll already got a nice packaging container awaiting them.

....more than likely, I'll never have the heart to sell this thing for <$2k and unless I part it out for more, I will end-up doing some mad-scientistry with it like Artbot has. even more than likely, however, i'll haven't the time/energy to do-so and it will just be an expensive icon of my Jv3 sentiment :)