• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki jv3 alignment

ICEdesign

Well looks the like the jv3 isnt very well aligned. I have it on 8 pass now and it just been rolling over itself for a lil while now. Just wondering if there is any adjustments i could make or any alignments issues i could fix for it to print more consistent. Thanks, Tony

ChicagoGraphics

Not sure to what you mean but, when you say rolling over its self do you mean while it's printing, in 8 pass mode it will print over its self 8 times. Is that what your asking about?

ICEdesign

yeah im in oak lawn, il. Well what im trying to say that is it does its eight pass but it seems that with every pass passes over the last pass again. So it leaves a dark line inbetween. Ive tried to mess with the feed back and fourth but that doesnt seem to help much. Usually happens on darker colors only where the lines actually show.

Dont know if that cleared it up or not but basically with each individual pass the head makes..it overlaps the existing one 8 times..BUT it also seems as though while its overlapping..its moving foward JUST A HAIR and causes that dark line or sometimes a white line.

wildside

the 8 pass means just that, the head makes 8 passes over the 1/4" area or whatever to get the true image

the lines between sound like a feed comp issue, although i have the same problem time to time

gabagoo

media compensation is the term. In Local mode press function then press the enter button 4 times. You should have been taught this in your training as every media will need some adjustments made for each. Once you are in that mode it will print the double grey line and you have to look carefully where they meet and see if you need to increase or decrease the spacing. In your case it needs to be decreased. For regular vinyl I have mine set at -35, banner material requires something around +20, and these numbers will change over time I have found (by you naturally getting the best look) I think someone told me that this media compensation should be checked every 25 feet of running just to make sure all is OK.
Good luck

DMD Marty

media compensation is the term. In Local mode press function then press the enter button 4 times. You should have been taught this in your training as every media will need some adjustments made for each. Once you are in that mode it will print the double grey line and you have to look carefully where they meet and see if you need to increase or decrease the spacing. In your case it needs to be decreased. For regular vinyl I have mine set at -35, banner material requires something around +20, and these numbers will change over time I have found (by you naturally getting the best look) I think someone told me that this media compensation should be checked every 25 feet of running just to make sure all is OK.
Good luck
He's right, I have a 130spII and the media comp will vary depending on humidity and temperature if your not in a completely controlled environment.
You can even adjust the media comp as it is printing. Figure out the right comp for each material, write it down and adjust each time. It kinda sucks doing that but its the only way to ensure high quality prints.

ICEdesign

yeah i usually adjust the feed as i go. but never heard of that gray line..ima try that now. thanks for the info though.

ICEdesign

alright just did it. Anyways..for the gray lines..one is more to the left than the other..is that correct??

________
_________

Its like that

thewood

Yes, one is more to the left. You should really change this with each media you print on. I have setups for various media, however they do change with room temp, humidity, etc.

Letterbox Mike

it's really necessary to have a printer's loupe (little magnifying glass you put on the print and look through) to do the feed compensation (where it prints the two gray bands) properly. It's almost impossible to accurately do it by eye, but if you magnify what you're looking at you'll actually see what you are adjusting in very fine detail with will give you a far more accurate adjustment than doing it by eye.

ICEdesign

yeah i was using one. But this printer is so old that it doesnt print solid gray lines. They come out with lots of striping in them. The black head could really use a good cleaning but havent had the time to pull it all apart with orders sitting around. But i set it up the best i could. Its printing a bit better now but its still kinda eh. We started making profiles for each media. We have a general one now for the 75spII cause we only print one media on it all the time. But we have several for the 130 cause we use that mostly for our larger prints and other materials. The 130 works perfect but it could be the way my buddy set up the 75...not sure. It needs to have its profile updated.

GARY CULY

There Is A Media Comp2 That You Can Only Get To In The Service Mode ...ask Your Rep To Adjust That ..it Will Improve The Prints A Whole Lot .....then Youll Know Also How To Get Into The Servicemode ..theres Many Adjustments In There That Will Help

ColesCreations

I looked into it, found lots of neat ways to get into trouble!
I am sure we will appreciate the tip on how to use inks after the expiry date:)

thewood

Be careful monkeying around in service mode. You can lock up your machine with some of the settings. For example, if you go into capping adjust and get it out of whack...the machine won't operate. Ask me how I know:Big Laugh :Big Laugh

eforer

My machine is on firmware 3.10 allowing for bulk ink and constant access to service mode from the setup menu directly. If you mess with anything, don't expect to get a good result without reading the service manual (available on the yahoo user's group) and using some magnification. There is a great little illuminated "microscope" thats available at radio shack that some of the yahoo group guys have recommended and I have been happy with it for the price.

As far as media comp goes, most manufacturers recommend that you do a quick test every time you load up media. You'll also find on really long print runs that you'll have to chase it a little.

Finally, the media comp print test is intentionally not very opaque and its very "bandy" its not a problem with your machine. It actually makes it easier to see the adjustment under magnification.

The regular users manual deals with the media comp and other non-service menu adjustments. Its worth reading. The service manual IMHO is mandatory mimaki reading.