• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV3-Ink Starvation??

serverjohn

not yet... I am working on a very large project that needs to be done before the end of day...

Yeah the black will reach the magenta i am sure but the magenta wont reach the black head...

So would i just hook up the black lines and leave the magenta lines dangling?

Last edited:

artbot

yeah. i'd tape them off to the side. even put a tiny piece of saran wrap or something to cover the bottom. i have at this point 5 auxiliary ink lines dangling at my head carriage all stuffed in an ink covered custom cut up zip lock bag. it's the ugliest thing, trimmed out with duct tape.

serverjohn

Custom is a nice way to put it. I guess that makes sense if you are just using the acid resistant ink and no cmky...

I started my print that i needed to get done. I have be messing around with media comps cause i notice it was banding a little. I got it all set up printing perfect then i leave and come back and the print now is printing voids in the red. I am ready to kill the sob!

serverjohn

ok... i had a yellow that was near end. swapped out the yellow and the red problem went away... you know you would think i would be able to count on something consistent, other than consistently screwed. So anyways back to the black problem.

artbot

so where are you officially at as far as absolutely isolated to "not be the problem"? can you make a list like

slider port magenta "good"
black and magenta damper "good"
etc.

serverjohn

I am back with a little more testing done. Your right lists are great. To go along with it I will also show what I have done and the results.

Original
Black printing badly (As pictured in original post)
Magenta prints good

Swapped Magenta and Black data cables
File Color: Black -> Head: Magenta = Good
File Color: Magenta -> Head: Black = Better than Original but not great.

Black Lines/Dampers on Magenta head = good

So what I can tell:
Black Dampers = Good
Magenta Dampers = Good
Data Cables = Good
Magenta Ink = Good
Black Ink = Good
Slider Board = Good I think
Head = ?

Thanks Again!

artbot

if the black data looks grainy going to the magenta head, then no. if the black data going to the magenta head looks good and the black ink going to the magenta head looks good then you should order a new head.

serverjohn

Here are some pictures of the data cable swap.

1) File: Magenta -> Head: Black
2) File: Black -> Head:Magenta
3) File: Black -> Head:Magenta, After adjusting media comp.
2 & 3 are better than the original but as you can see they aren't perfect.

Magenta normally prints perfect.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 110

artbot

the one after the media comp look about as good as an isolated head file looks. heads benefit from added channels dot gain dithering and allow more even printing. much like if you were spraying a car and could follow the first spray gun with one right behind it. the finish would be better than one gun.