• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki jv3 printing on glossy banner?

Randy101

MImaki JV3--Printing on glossy banner 13 oz. and the banner material keeps bunching up between the pinch rollers. Tried to unspool the material first and it keeps bunching up. Has anyone had the same problems? Suggestions?
Thanks Kerry

Chad.

i had this problem with my roland, it ended up that the material was feeding "off track" or "walking" from one side to the other ... what i did was load it, and pull it forward through the machine 12-18 inches and locked it down while holding it tight ... you lose a linear foot, but for me it 100% eliminated the problem, Went through the whole roll in one day without having to reposition

ChicagoGraphics

Randy101.........what are your temp. settings? For 13oz. glossy banner we use Ultraflex heat settings @ 45-40. You should allways keep the material as tight as possible in the back, dont let it sag as it might start going in cock eyed.

thewood

I would also suggest that you make sure the banner is square or even on the roll. Then pull the material out until you feel tension, making sure that the banner is running parallel to the media clips. I don't hear about this problem too much on the Mimakis, as the multiple pinch rollers usually prevent this. I have heard of many Roland users that have this issue. Keep us updated.

JERHEMI

Your problem is you're not keeping the material square in the machine. Its easy to do though....pull the material through the machine and before hitting the arm so the rollers come down stand in front of the machine with both hands on the material spanned across the length of the material. Then lightly pull the material through then the moment you feel tension STOP PULLING! (If you here a click you pulled to far and have to start over) Then remember your hands are spanned out across the material so now with each hand move slightly forward and backwards until you feel in your hands that you have absolute full tension across the span of the roll then if you have another person nearby tell them to knock down the lever for the pinch rollers while you're holding the roll in place. Or if you're by yourself carefully slide your hands to the center of the roll keeping tension on the roll and then hold the roll in place with one hand and knock down the lever with the other one. This works excellent for forward wound material but for reverse wound it can be done the same way but its a little more tricky because since its reverse the mechanism on back isn't going to work so you have to calculate the tension on the roll by feel alone

gabagoo

I have had the same problem, and you guys may be right, but I found that if I loosened the roll and peeled out about 2 feet that as the printer pulled on the banner it was actually still pulling on the main roll as the rolled off portion kind of sticks to itself. I have found that the moment the machine pulls on the main roll that I get that pinching effect and head brushing. Thats just me though and trust me I have the material running straight. The other problem I find with suppliers that sometimes the banner material is reverse wound.

maxxgraphix

Load the material from the back and release the pich rollers.
Goto the front and release the pinch rollers.
Pull the media until you hit the next feed roll catch. This helps you get the media square.
Release the pinch rollers. Make sure that when the print starts the media passes the fans. If it catches then you'll have a head crash.