• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Jv3 Question

Randy101

I am having a slight problem with printing on translucent vinyl. I have tried to run out this job a number of times with the same outcome....A rainbow effect in the lettering. I have changed the heat settings a number of times and it is not helping. There are large streaks running the opposite direction of my print head. Does anyone know how to fix this problem? Thanks for all your help!
Kerry

:thankyou:

ChicagoGraphics

Do you have a picture of these prints your doing, Try doing a mild head wash.
The main thing I think it would be cause by to much heat

Marie

See if you have it on uni-directional and not bi-directional. I get that streaky look on bi-directional.

iSign

the opposite direction?
they don't line up with the pinch rollers do they?

I think the uni-or Bi comment is valid too... if momentum carries the ink drops a little ahead of where the carriage was when it fired... then every other pass has printing microscopically off in the opposite direction of the last pass. This could create slight evidence of this fact in some images.

hbb2008

Premium Subscriber
uni-directional

I know this was an old thread, but in case anyone in the future is reading this, I wanted to give my input also.

I was having problems getting a wavy print or rainbow type effect also. Im sure this would happen with all prints, but it was more apparent in the darker prints. The paper would not lie flat with or with out heat settings applied. I was also printing bi-directional. I came accross this thread and figured, Ill try changing my settings to uni-directional, still with no heat. My print looks much better, printing with uni-directional. It takes a lot longer to print, but it looks nicer.

MikePro

pics or it never happened. its a good thing I love talkin' JV3's so much, because unresolved threads like this kind of wear on the soul :)

without seeing what's going on, and dialing-down the heat being your solution, I have a feeling you're getting media tunneling/buckling during the print. If there is a wavy-ness of the vinyl as it is being printed, the ink doesn't lay down as it is supposed to, essentially dropping colors in a repeated "Bell-Curve", so to speak, along the highs&lows of the vinyl and resulting in a rainbow-effect of vertical banding.
that, and improper alignment will also cause/enhance this.
sidenote: encoder issues would result in isolated (one continuous spot) vertical lines/defects, media rippling is usually more uniform.

@hbb, the added note of misalignment was directed your way, as you stated that uni-directional also helped fix the problem. its possible that your bi-directional alignments may be slightly out of whack and enhanced the rainbow-effect caused by your media rippling.

hbb2008

Premium Subscriber
Here are some pictures of the wavyness i was talking about. you can see the darker angled lines. photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG

MikePro

Here are some pictures of the wavyness i was talking about. you can see the darker angled lines.

Yowsa. what material is that? laminate?
was the file supposed to be a solid-color print?
are those lines completely non-uniform throughout the print?

ima have to sit on this one a bit. Did that just randomly start happening or what occurred along the way from 100% printing perfect, on regular vinyl, until now?

hbb2008

Premium Subscriber
i work for a company that prints wood decors on decor paper and turns it in to laminate flooring using a melamine resin. I create color matches and samples for customers before a color is sold and made into production. the verticle lines are supposded to be part of the print, the diagonal lines, are not. So far to fix this, printing uni-directional has worked. But I have only done it once and it seemed to work. I cant for sure say, it will be a permanite fix.

MikePro

i got ya. but essentially, the vertical lines ARE part of the decor paper you're printing on?
the file printing, itself, is just a full-field of color you've set?

pardon my million ?'s I'm no tech, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night. :)
can you post a pic of your test print and a pic of the same file printed on a regular white background?
still trying to wrap my head around this, but I'm starting to lean toward ink-starvation as the carriage travels across the y-axis, for the diagonal lines, but it appears that your field of color still has vertical dark/light/dark uniform banding, which would bring me back to encoder issues.