• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki jv3 SPII Colors

Beavis

This is a question posed by others but it seems to get off the topic quickly so here goes again. I have read that 6 color wont really add to your color selection but what i really want is to intensify my colors like cyan and yellow and green. Is 6 color worth changing from a dual cmyk setup or is it just a wast of time? The problem I'm facing is that my colors are bright enough. We have had the tech from mid west in a few times to talk to but its not really helping so if anyone has ideas or thought on the matter i would love to hear any and all suggestions.

ChicagoGraphics

Thats all I run are 6 colour digital printers. I do alot of pictures of faces and using CMYKLcLm gives me much better tones then on CMYK
If you want brighter colours go with
CMYKGO.

Rooster

LcLm give a very modest boost to the overall gamut. They are there essentially to smooth the highlight areas for up close viewing. The pale colored inks produce a less intense dot that's not as visible to the eye.

If smoothness is not essential, adding an OG to the mix will boost your gamut. Especially greens, oranges and red areas of the spectrum.

To get more colors out of your current ink set-up increase your number of passes and slow the machine down. You'll lay down more ink and give your current gamut a boost without expanding any one particular area. It might not open up the greens much, but you'll get an overall increase in tonal range that will definitely be visible in your images (with a new profile to take advantage of the increase of course.

How good a gamut is, is dependent on how much ink the media can hold. Resetting your ink limits both channel and total to take advantage of a media's particular thirst characteristics can produce some amazing gamut increases.

Using a top quality profiling package is essential too. Not all are created equal. I've seen a gamut increase with no other changes other than the profiling package create gamuts 30%+ larger than inferior profiling software. Use the maximum number of targets you can for best results.

eforer

Rolling your own when it comes to profiles is key. We have seen massive gains from using the newer WG magentas from Triangle. Obviously, you have to re profile for them.

Rooster

I should add that it's possible to fudge the printer's gamut shape using the individual ink channel limits. If you want brighter greens you can always create a special profile and ink limit set-up that robs from the magenta channel and rewards the yellow and cyan channel's with more ink. You'll sacrifice the deep blues and reds, but you'll boost the greens by a bunch.