• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki jv3 vs mutoh valuejet 1324

BOXOFIDEAS

I got a Mimaki Jv3, so far no complaints. It's a little slow but reliable, but I got offered a used mutoh valuejet 1324. I think it's newer but I dont know if I should get the mutoh and get rid of the old mimaki.
What do you guys think.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I would upgrade to the Valuejet. It is a far better machine speed and maintenance wise. Also, Mimaki will be discontinuing support and parts for the JV3s in September. You will still be able to get common parts like heads and dampers but other parts will be hard to find eventually.

MikePro

used mimaki > used mutoh.

especially since you already own it, i'd stay on the mimaki until you can build-up your biz before spending even more money on equipment. ...and then upgrade to brand-spanking-new on the coattails of a sign show special or last years' demo/floor/overstocked model discount.
the Jv3 is a solid machine, and will continue to run great if well-maintained.
besides, there's a million-more threads on these forums discussing DIY jv3 service/replacement vs. valuejets. mimaki may be "discontinuing support" but it doesn't mean there aren't new parts available.

BOXOFIDEAS

used mimaki > used mutoh.

especially since you already own it, i'd stay on the mimaki until you can build-up your biz before spending even more money on equipment. ...and then upgrade to brand-spanking-new on the coattails of a sign show special or last years' demo/floor/overstocked model discount.
the Jv3 is a solid machine, and will continue to run great if well-maintained.
besides, there's a million-more threads on these forums discussing DIY jv3 service/replacement vs. valuejets. mimaki may be "discontinuing support" but it doesn't mean there aren't new parts available.

I really like the mimaki as you say, but I don't have any experience with mutoh. what type of heads the valuejet uses? Artbot said that I have to stay away from the DX4 heads. Do you know what type of heads the Valuejet 1324 have? ?I've been trying to contact the seller but he's not answering.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The 1324 has what people are calling the DX6 head. It is two generations newer than the DX4 head and a far better technology. I agree with Artbot completely on this one. The DX4 heads are antiques compared with the newer generations. If you want to save yourself a lot of headaches in the future and you are getting a good deal, go with the 1324.

BOXOFIDEAS

The 1324 has what people are calling the DX6 head. It is two generations newer than the DX4 head and a far better technology. I agree with Artbot completely on this one. The DX4 heads are antiques compared with the newer generations. If you want to save yourself a lot of headaches in the future and you are getting a good deal, go with the 1324.

I will do that. My problem now is I can't get a hold of the guy. It's a good deal what he offers me. Thank you for your help

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I'd have to agree. While the Mimaki JV3 is a reliable workhorse and parts will be readily available for a long time to come (especially used parts since so many are being scrapped nowadays) it is by industry standards an ancient machine. The JV3 machines go back to around 2003. The Mutoh might not be as popular for the fix it yourself crowd but the newer generation Epson head machines with a single DX5 (or DX6 which is really just the vertically oriented DX5 - DX7 is a wholly different generation) are far easier to maintain and nice bit faster. Not a ton faster but faster regardless and almost no alignment problems since it is a single 8 channel head instead of 4 separate 2 channel heads.

inkmed

I prefer Mimaki JV3.
It is a old printer but it is so reliable.
Mimaki discontinue support, but you can get spare parts include heads, boards, damper, capping, pump, motor... easy in market.
Many of our clients working with this printer now.
JV3 use DX4 head, but it is not very slowly with 4 or 6 heads.

Mutoh use DX6 head, this head is expensive.
And Mutoh printers are not durable like Mimaki printers, special JV3.

Adam Yang from Inkmed

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
While are agree that a single DX5/DX6 head is more expensive than a single DX4 head it is less expensive than 4 DX4 heads. That is the only gotcha on the JV33 and newer generation printers using DX5, DX6 and newer heads. If one channel goes out then the whole 8 channel head needs replacing while on the older DX4 head if one channel goes out then only that one 2 channel head needs replaced. That being said - aligning 4 separate heads is a much more complicated process to get just right - with a single 8 channel head there is almost zero alignment to deal with, also only one capping top and one pump versus 4 capping tops and 2 pumps. As I mentioned before - the JV3 and other DX4 based machines, while workhorses and literally thousands still going strong - they are still 10+ year old outdated technology. If you are in the market to buy a machine right now - for very little more cost than a JV3 you can find a good used JV33 and step up to much newer technology, far easier maintenance, faster speed, much more reliable, easy to configure USB connection (instead of somewhat finicky firewire), and knowing availability of parts and support will be that much longer. You can find a good used fully working JV33 now for around $7000. Yes - you can a find a good used fully working JV3 for $5000 but in my opinion the difference is not worth it. You could also fine a JV3 needing some work for far less but then you have a big headache and expense of replacing the heads and probably capping station, pumps, and dampers, plug a few hundred bucks in ink getting it aligned and back up and running good and ultimately might end up spending over 5k.