• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV33-160 new firmware- profile issue

Cmiller01

Printer
Hello all,
We have a 2 week old Mimaki JV33-160 and are having some issues regarding profiles and onyx 10.1 for this machine. I downloaded a ton of profiles via onyx download manager for this specific machine and I keep getting #11 param errors ( and odd size prints) on profiles that are not 720x720. It seems the profiles that do work are 720x720 and do not produce the most awesome results but are ok for now.
We are working with the place that sold us the machine, and they are dealing with mimaki and onyx- and their conclusion is because mimaki has not released the latest profiles for the latest firmware version on the JV33. They want us to try a trial version to onyx 11 to see if that solves the problem. We dont really have the money to buy the onyx 11 though. Anyone else have an issue similar to this??

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Firmware should not have anything to do with profiles as far as I know. It sounds like a problem I have seen with using Mimaki and Flexi. The machine is defaulting to 720x720 even if you send a file at any other resolution. Try this:

Hit Function>Setup>Choose Type 1,2,3 or 4>Scroll up to the menu item "Priority" and make sure it is set to "All Host". Then try to send a file with a different resolution than 720x720.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Sounds like some finger pointing to me. As far as I know Mimaki only creates and provides profiles for Rasterlink. Why would they spend time and effort making profiles for a competitors RIP? The other RIP companies like Onyx, Sai, Caldera, Shiraz, etc create and provide the profiles for the machines they support. Also since the older machines that used the older DX4 print heads x720 profiles were optimal since that is the native resolution of those heads, one the newer machines like the JV33 with the DX5 head 540x1080 is the native head resolution which will give the best results. Yet I still see RIP makers pushing x720 profiles for the newer DX5 machines which will never be very good - I personally think they are simply ignorant to the specs of the printhead or are lazily modifying old JV3 profiles.

Look at Mimaki's downloads http://eng.mimaki.co.jp/download/

There are only profiles for Rasterlink since that is their RIP. Also - look for JV33 profiles for Rasterlink - not one single profile is x720..... only x1080 and x1440. Well - actually they do have one 540x720 profile for Rasterlink III, that is a high speed profile where quality is not critical. I also have one like that for us that we use for printing long distance viewed banners etc - the machine is very fast in that mode but the quality is not very good for close-up viewing.

I'm also unsure why the firmware would make a difference in the profile but it's possible. What firmware is your machine at?

Cmiller01

Printer
Firmware should not have anything to do with profiles as far as I know. It sounds like a problem I have seen with using Mimaki and Flexi. The machine is defaulting to 720x720 even if you send a file at any other resolution. Try this:

Hit Function>Setup>Choose Type 1,2,3 or 4>Scroll up to the menu item "Priority" and make sure it is set to "All Host". Then try to send a file with a different resolution than 720x720.

Hello- I have tried this, and it is already set to "ALL HOST" any other suggestions?
I tried using Rastorlink and it will print on something other than 720x720, but now im having erradic banding and splotching issues. Very strange. I know it has to be something simple.....

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I have an issue that may lead down a similar path. I just purchased Caldera to run a JV33 and L26500. I had a selection of media I use professionally profiled for both machines. Printing to the JV33 is excruciatingly slow regardless of profile/media/resolution/file type. A 24ft x 4ft banner took 2.5 hours to print at 720 x 720. If I switch to rasterlink it prints many times faster with the same parameters. The kicker is I am using RasterlinkPro 3 and the firmware on the printer is v 3.20. These are both old but it prints beautifully and I have no reason to rock the boat. I also print out of Flexi 10.5 and it prints great with rasterlink speed.

I am waiting for Caldera to tell me I have to upgrade firmware on the printer which will leave me in a pickle.

Anyone had simillar issues with the JV33 and Caldera?

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Hello- I have tried this, and it is already set to "ALL HOST" any other suggestions?
I tried using Rastorlink and it will print on something other than 720x720, but now im having erradic banding and splotching issues. Very strange. I know it has to be something simple.....

I get great results at 720x720 in rasterlink. The obvious is heater settings and also verify humidity for the blotching issues. I find high humidity can cause splotches.

Cmiller01

Printer
The humidity varies between 30% in winter and today after the rain it was about 55% this morning. Temps stay around 65-75 and varies. What do you guys use for heater settings for adhesive backed vinyl? I used the stock setting and reduced it some because it seemed screaming hot to me.

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
Pre to post my heater settings are 44-42-48. I like to keep the humidity in the 40-45 percentage range . 55 is not overly excessive.

My issue in caldera was corrected by changing a profile setting (enable high speed printing). This is user changeable in Flexi and Rasterlink but in Caldera it is a selection when building the profile in easymedia.