• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV33 Color channel drop out

jkloste2

I'm having serious drop out issues. After about 4 feet of print, one of the black channels completely dies. I've tried changing the damper, and changing the capping station. Ink flow seemed to be good when I primed the damper, and the channel comes back after one cleaning cycle almost everytime. What could I be missing? Thanks in advance.

DougWestwood

sounds like air in the line

Sounds like you have a leak in the ink line and it periodically
injects enough air to be a problem. Look for drips/loose connections
in the black ink line from reservoir to head.

- Doug

WalkerP

Agree with Doug. It never hurts to take the damper off the ink line and put it back on. Those little compression fittings aren't perfect...

You can try swapping the dampers on top of the head. Physically just pull the line/damper off the top of the head and swap it with the one next to it. You can at least rule the head out that way. If the drop out follows the ink line you know it's somewhere between the damper and the cart.

jkloste2

Agree with Doug. It never hurts to take the damper off the ink line and put it back on. Those little compression fittings aren't perfect...

You can try swapping the dampers on top of the head. Physically just pull the line/damper off the top of the head and swap it with the one next to it. You can at least rule the head out that way. If the drop out follows the ink line you know it's somewhere between the damper and the cart.

I moved the damper/ink line and the drop stays in the original channel. Does that automatically mean print head? It is printing fine when it has ink to print... One cleaning cycle brings the channel comppletely back almost everytime...

WalkerP

OK, so just to make sure we're on the same page. The same set of nozzles drop every time no matter what ink line is connected to the top of the head?
If so, since this printer only has one capping station/pump and the other colors are OK, I'm leaning towards the head. But, don't freak out yet.

Check to make sure the new cap is lining up properly on the bottom of the head and that channel's nozzles aren't out or on the cap "print". The cap "print" can be seen on the face of the head when you push it out over the platen. Make sure all the nozzles are in the rectangular area where the cap meets the head. I hope that makes sense. There are some other threads in the forums that have some pics if you search for this. Since it comes back after cleaning I'm assuming so, but check just to make sure.

Also just make sure the nipple on which the damper seats isn't compromised/cracked. That can do it too.

How old is the printer?
How much ink (estimated) have you printed through that channel on that head?
You're using OEM ink? Carts or bulk? Solvent, H20, sub?
Have you changed carts in that channel recently? Different lot of ink?

jkloste2

OK, so just to make sure we're on the same page. The same set of nozzles drop every time no matter what ink line is connected to the top of the head?
If so, since this printer only has one capping station/pump and the other colors are OK, I'm leaning towards the head. But, don't freak out yet.

Check to make sure the new cap is lining up properly on the bottom of the head and that channel's nozzles aren't out or on the cap "print". The cap "print" can be seen on the face of the head when you push it out over the platen. Make sure all the nozzles are in the rectangular area where the cap meets the head. I hope that makes sense. There are some other threads in the forums that have some pics if you search for this. Since it comes back after cleaning I'm assuming so, but check just to make sure.

Also just make sure the nipple on which the damper seats isn't compromised/cracked. That can do it too.

How old is the printer?
How much ink (estimated) have you printed through that channel on that head?
You're using OEM ink? Carts or bulk? Solvent, H20, sub?
Have you changed carts in that channel recently? Different lot of ink?

I have the head out now. The cap "print" looks fine. I viusally inspected the nipple for that channel, and it appears to be intact...

The machine is 5 years old.
We've probably used 15-20 liters through this channel. (that head is roughly a year old.)
We're using aftermarket inks with a bulk system. Dye-Sub
Same lot of inks as before...

Thanks fo the help...

WalkerP

Not sure the brand of ink you're using so make sure to use the flushing/cleaning solution they recommend (50/50 windex/DI H20 should be fine), but you can attach a syringe to the top of the head and flush that channel (carefully!). Make sure the "ink curtain" looks uniform.
Unfortunately, it sounds like we've ruled out most culprits other than the head, unless someone else can think of anything...

In all honesty, that's a good amount of ink to push through one channel. Still weird to me why it all of a sudden all nozzles just crapped out. There may be large particle inside the head that's floating around and eventually settles where the inlet port meets the manifold inside the head. It's possible you could flush it out or let it soak where it would dissolve/break up enough for it to be pushed through.

Good luck!