Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

 


  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimaki jv33 conversion from Dye Sub to Solvent ink

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by Reelimpatient, Oct 18, 2018.

  1. Reelimpatient

    Reelimpatient New Member

    10
    0
    1
    Oct 17, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    Looks like I'm buying a jv33 that has been used for several years as dye sub. The certified technician said he will flush everything and make it ready for the solvent inks I buy.

    My questions are:
    1. should I go with 4 or 6 color solvent inks-( Mainly printing vinyl stickers and banners )
    2. Is there anything I should be particularly be aware of or look out for ? cautions etc?
    3. Can I use the current CISS bottles and cartridges if we clean them out first?
    4. The print head is about 3 months old, is it likely to make it through the conversion ?

    Thanks for any help or comments, newbie on these machines.
     
    Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

    Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

    4,367
    828
    113
    Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    1. 4 color for sure. It's faster and the 6 color doesn't help with anything really. It's more of a gimmick to sell more ink. People have different opinions on that but I guarantee you you won't see a difference.

    2. I could go through a bunch of things but the most important is general cleanliness. If the machine is covered in thick dust and/or ink splatter all over the place, it most likely wasn't maintained properly.

    3. You probably could if you clean them out very well but I wouldn't do it.

    4. If the machine is flushed properly, the head should make it through. The order should go like this; flush the dye sub inks out of the system, then flush the system with dye sub cleaning solution, then put new dampers in, then flush the system with solvent cleaning solution, then fill with solvent ink. Sometimes you might have to do the flush multiple times if it doesn't clear the ink out. Make sure to check the lines between each step to confirm there is no more fluid in the lines. It's ok to have little bits here and there but there should not be any large areas where fluid still exists in the line. The reason for all of this is that large quantities of the fluids mixing together can cause issues.
     
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Reelimpatient

    Reelimpatient New Member

    10
    0
    1
    Oct 17, 2018
    Ocala, FL
    Great! thanks for the reply and suggestions. I will stay with 4 color. So I take it that the dye sub and solvent clash and will create clogs or lumps, so the lines and everything need to be real clean.
    I'm trying to avoid buying the bulk bottles and complete system, maybe I should just start with a fresh set of cartridges and when they are about spent, go over to the bulk system.

    Does anyone know if the Rasterlink 5 that comes with it will run on Windows 10pro ? 16gb ram, SSD and i7 processor.

    thanks !
     
  4. Solventinkjet

    Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

    4,367
    828
    113
    Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Exactly. Starting with cartridges is probably the best way to go and then see how it goes from there. Rasterlink 5 will work on that setup. You might look into getting Rasterlink 6 though. I don't know if it is still this way but a while back Rasterlink 5 users could download 6 and use there 5 password and it would work. 6 is more stable in general.
     
  5. hybriddesign

    hybriddesign owner Hybrid Design

    36
    7
    8
    Jul 31, 2012
    Honolulu
    Just wanted to chime in for anyone else doing a conversion. Our JV150 (solvent) started overspraying and after trying everything it looked like it needed a new head. Our JV300 (aka money pit) that is set up for sublimation and just keeps having issues had one good head and one blocked and I decided to throw in the towel on it and swap the head over to the JV150. Followed Solvent Ink Jet's advice and first pulled all the ink out (disconnected the lines by the cartridges and pulled through the capping station). Next I pulled about 500ml of sublimation cleaning solution through the head emptying the lines completely at the end. Finally it was about 250ml of solvent cleaning solution. This step was a little sketchy as bits of sublimation ink must have still been in the lines and I could see it coagulating and moving through the lines but just crossed my fingers and hoped the damper filters took care of it. Pulled the lines dry, moved it to the new printer and got lucky as after one hard fill we were up and printing again!

    If I had to change anything for next time I'd get a larger syringe. I was only using a 50ml and it took forever. A 200ml would have been a lot better but I didn't have any with the right type of tip.
     
Loading...

Share This Page

 


Loading...