• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

mimaki jv33 damper change

DCSMITH

i have replaced the dampers on my jv33 and my cyan keeps dropping out any solutions on how to fix this would be appriciated. thanks :)

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
How old is the print head? Did you change the valve assembly and o-ring(claw type part on top of the damper)? Are you using cartridges or bulk ink? Are both cyan channels dropping out or just one?

DCSMITH

just one is dropping out and i just changed the dampers not the valve assembly or the o rings im using bulk ink and the whole machine is basically brand new its not even a year old so the print head shouldnt be the problem.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Most likely not the head but make sure to take the damper off and check that the manifold isn't broken. Use a bright flash light to check as it can be hard to see a crack on the black manifold.

Are you set up for CMYK X 2 or 6 Color? If it's CMYK X 2 I am leaning more towards a defective damper or the claw is not sealing with the ink line and/or damper well enough. If it is 6 color, I would say it could be the damper and claw or the bulk system is not functioning properly.

Last edited:

DCSMITH

im using CMYK x 2 the dampers are fine so i ordered the claws and the o rings to see if that fixes it thanks i hope it works

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've had bad aftermarket dampers before. Very very difficult to notice or see visually since it is a negative pressure based ink system. Due to negative pressure system a bad damper will not necessarily leak ink.... it will instead suck in air and since it is only sucking air in you also cannot hear it either because it will only do so when the pump is running just under the head. On the ones I had gotten that were defective (it was several) I finally found that it was an injection molding defect right near the base of the dampers where it turns into a round part to sit on the head. Essentially invisible to the naked eye. I discovered it after out of frustration I had taken one back off and using a syringe put positive pressure on it, then ink started dribbling out of the extremely tiny hole. Effectively the only way you can say for certain the dampers are fine is if you remove them from the machine and pressure test them...

The vendor I bought them from is very reputable and they did very quickly take care of it and quickly sent me some more dampers from a different lot so I honestly have no complaints at all. Just the luck of the draw..... anything can have a manufacturing defect. In the case of dampers for machines that use a negative pressure ink system that can be infuriatingly difficult to diagnose..... same with really any suspected leaks on a JV33, CJV, JV5 and probably any other machine that is a negative pressure setup. To troubleshoot on ours before I've actually disconnected the tubes behind the cartridge slots, capped them, then from the damper end use a syringe to put LIGHT positive pressure on the line. Then you can carefully listen for and find the hissing of a leak. If you try this with the damper connected then you also need to hold the valve in the damper open or use the syringe at the cartridge slot end. Of course also make sure to have towels near anyplace that has a joint to be sure no ink gets on anything that it should not get on.