Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

mimaki jv33 flush vs. mild solvent

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by gixxer2004, Mar 9, 2013.

1. gixxer2004

gixxer2004 Member

Feb 22, 2009
    Middleburg, Pa
    I have a mimaki jv33 that i am running solvent triangle jvv ink. I do a head soak for about 5 minutes every week just to keep everything running smooth. My question is: Is the mild solvent cleaner in the back the same as the flush cleaner? If not can I refill the head soak cleaner cartridge with flush cleaner or is it too harsh for the head? Where do i buy the mild solvent cleaner in gallon containers?

Thanks-

Tags:
  2. SightLine

SightLine Premium Subscriber

We also run Triangle JVV (2 liter bulk). I've been refilling the cleaning cartridge on our JV33 for a couple of years with no issues. I just get the liter bottle of Triangle flush that we use for general cleaning etc and use a huge syringe (with a somewhat blunted but still pointy needle) to refill ours whenever it runs empty which seems to be about twice a year.

3. petesign

petesign Very Active Member

Feb 27, 2010
    Hoover AL
    They aren't the same. The bottle that comes with a mimaki cleaning kit is a little stronger than the cartridge in the back. I had no idea, and was using washing cartridges exclusively for about the last 9 months, then all of the yellow nozzles clogged (ALL OF IT) on one side. I tried everything, head soaks, pushing a little through the head using a syringe, dampers, etc. Finally had to throw in the towel and have a tech come and look at the machine dreading the $3000 price tag of a new head.

He picked up my bottle of transferred cleaning solution and smelled it and asked me what it was. I told him I had been using the head washing cartridges we got when we swapped to 20/20 inks, just breaking them open and filling the bottle. I was surprised at how different it smelled from the cleaning kit bottle, and we did head soaks with it, pushed that solvent through the head for a few hours, and got about 60% of the nozzles spraying in one afternoon.

That was a week ago. I have since switched back to OEM inks, have about 75% of the nozzles in that channel firing, and am running with it. When I first bought this printer, I was amazed that people would spend 15k on a piece of equipment and then get cheap with how they clean it, or the inks they ran through it. I fell victim to the same thing I had once questioned, and won't look back, I feel very fortunate not to have had to cough up the money for a new head. If inks cost me $.30 a square foot to lay down, so be it. I will adjust my prices accordingly. If a cleaning kit costs $60, same thing. I'll use the cartridge on the back for a head soak now and then, but you better believe I am going to use that kit at least once a week.

I don't blame the cleaning cartridge as much as the non OEM inks, but there is definitely a difference in both.