• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki Jv33 Ink problem is it the pump?

maximumsign

Ok today I did some re aranging in the shop had the machine powered off for about an hour 2 at the most. When we started the printer back up printed half of a 3x48 banner and lost yellow and maginta. Checked both ink cartriges and they had ink in them did head cleaning and test draw Im getting blue ink in the maginta, but no maginta. I had a spare damper and thought maybe one of the dampers went bad so I stuck it on there just to see what happened. When I did the ink fill I got no Maginta in the damper and it started pulling blue ink from somwhere not the line into the damper. Im thinking pump. On a jv33 does the pump do all 4 colors or do you have different pumps for different colors or how does it work. Someone tell me what they think.

Vinylman

From what I know about the JV33 it has only one pump.
I would look at the condition of the docking station. If you have a high power magnifier, look closely at the area where the head docks. Check for cracks or breaks in the rubber seal around the edge. Also look closely at the foam media in the center of the dock. It should be flat with NO raised or distorted areas.
If you have cleaning solution for the JV33 make a puddle on top of the docking station, then dock the head for a few minutes and finally do start up. It "should" pump the waste cleaner and any ink through and provide a clean start.

I would also look at the condition of the wiper. Any nicks or scratches in the face of the wiper will effect the cleaning of your print head.

Lastly try removing the hoses from the bottom of the docking station, and flushing them with cleaner, all the way to the drain bottle.

If you are not cleaning the machine REGULARLY, the drain lines will plug up.

Arcdru

Doing a pump tube wash will indicate whether or not the pump is working sufficiently. Watch the cleaning solution: if it helds well before the pump activates then you know the pump is sealing correctly. You may however have a vacuum in your magenta line causing the cyan to be pulled back up through the head. Pull out you magenta cartridges and make sure they are full, and in-date.

TheSnowman

Don't know about the JV33, but my JV3 has two pumps. I just replaced both of them about 8 mos ago I suppose. It just quite printing one color. Took about an hour and a half to do the first one, and five minutes to do the second one. Just had to figure out what I was doing...but wasn't hard...I just didn't wanna screw something up, so TOTALLY thought everything through.

macmedia

Check the tube that comes out of the Cap Station into the pump AND the tubing from the pump to the waste bottle.

If the ink inside the tube dries it will clog the lines and your pump won't be working. We have already found this problem on 2 separate machines - where it causes your exact problem. That pump motor is really heavy duty and we haven't heard too much on these failing.

Take some flush and clean out the tubing.

Kent
Mac Media USA, Inc.
www.macmedia.com

maximumsign

got it printing but the damper is only half full of ink. I printed a wrap for a police car with it and it looked fine, I thought the damper would fill as I printed but its still half full I think there is a line somewhere clogged or half clogged.

Robert72

Half full?? My JV5 has all the dampers half full and I thought it was right. All your other dampers are full of ink?

maximumsign

yeah the rest are full now you have me wondering should they be full or half full or is it half empty? Heck if i know! Someone help im pulling my hair out now! My brains of a sis said He!! don't worry about it if they have ink in them and it prints good. lol

mimakitech24

something came loose, or you jarred the capping station out of position...for instance, if the capping station if too high or too low, there is not the proper seal on your head to pull the ink properly...or, as someone stated earlier...a tube may have come loose somewhere...most likely the waste ink tube that goes down into the pump...

dampers can be anywhere from .25 full to full, they will stay more towards full over time...if everything is running correctly...but half full isn't necessarily bad...just how it goes....

DigitalBBQ

Half full, or 3/4 full in the damper indicate that you don't know how to prime it! There is also a filter screen compartment which need to be filled with ink and no air as well. Many tech do not know how to prime these dampers properly even when they said they have 100 years of experience. In contrary, Genius live fast / die young / do it once and get it right on the first time, every time!

Half full or 3/4 full will work for short while, but only until the siphon start to draw air into the valve and the compression then lost, the valve shut the ink flow. It can even create strange siphoning effect on the other ink lines when displacement occurs inside the capping station suction or when pump is activated during cleaning. Thus, creating contamination and series of unpredict ink flow problems just because you lost the compression or faulty valve(s) on your damper(s).

Once the air is trapped inside the damper, it is unlikely for it to be full with ink inside of it without human intervention. And when the air is trapped inside the damper of the JV33 or JV5, they are like a ticking time bomb, and waiting for you to do that long long banner so the ink flow will quit on you. This is a compression type of damper, it is critical for air to be out of it!

This air trapped inside of damper can even give you more significant problem when doing 4 color mode since the line joined the two ink into one and that trapped air inside the damper will give a faulty valve operation over time; specially when the print head moving back and forth in high speed.

When the Mimaki JV33 or JV5 leave Japan, they all filled with prefill which the manufacturer has already prime all the dampers properly. Just like the human body, there is no air allow in the blood stream in order for the heart to pump correctly. When the air trapped inside the damper, the sealed valve is in the compromising condition and waiting for failure in drawing inks to happen.

In order for JV33 or JV5 dampers to serve inks to the print head, the compression must be establish with total confident which rely on the sealed valve activated by the compression of the circular compartment.

Using after-market dampers will also compromise the rest of the dampers from Japan. Most of the aftermarket dampers do not have the correct seal valve machanism or faulty valve but you don't know it! Buy the genuine Mimaki damper sold by the dealer just to give you the process of illimination to your issue with ink flow (some genuine part also fail in some case just like anything human made).

Also on the top of each damper, it is the long pointing upward that need to be insert into the end cap of the hanging ink lines. This long pointing up PE plastic piece need to be seated inside the end cap for the ink to flow into the damper correctly. It is activate by doing prick and twist
maneuver to allow the locking ink from that top end cap to flow into the damper. Doing this wrong, or using after-market part will prone to faulty seal and the compression valve inside the circular compartment will also fail again.

Peter_01

Yes DigitalBBQ, how do we properly prime the dampers ? You seem to know a lot about that, how about sharing some wisdom ?

artbot

jv3 filling procedure///

on my 160sp dampers i tilt the damper backwards/down hill to let the ink run to the top of the damper while still pulling the air out. i never attempt to pull all the air out. but i easily could using this system. all my printers usually operated perfectly at the 80% point.

attached is a pic of my damper syringe and a pump replumb both good for making easy work of it. it's made from pump tube and a cut down head adapter.

Attachments

• pump_replumb.jpg
    pump_replumb.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 778
  • syringes.jpg
    syringes.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 717