• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki JV33 Series

Gene@mpls

Got an email from Grimco- Mimaki JV33-130 54” Solvent Printer $13,595;

Mimaki JV33-160 62” Solvent Printer $14,595

SAS

I just ordered the Mimaki jv33-160 today I'm just going to run the 4 x 2 setup. I don't plan on running the white ink so I did not ask. I guess it would be one each of cmyk and white or c,m,y,k,lc,lm, plus white.
Maybe someone else will jump in that is running white.

ChicagoGraphics

Not sure with the JV-33's but in order to run white you would be printing with C-Y-M-K-Lc-Lm with 2 carts of white to fill your ink slots up.
Thats how it is on the JV3- 160spII.

eforer

Well, speaking from the experience of my peers on JV3s, its a nightmare. I wanted to do it for printing on decals on clear and was talked out of it pretty quickly. This is an abbreviated version of the reasoning I received.

Firstly, you waste most of your ink because whenever the pump runs (cleaning cycles etc.) it pulls from all the heads. So if you only print white once in a blue moon, you'll find that most of your ink is now in the waste ink container despite almost never being used for printing.

Secondly, you have to lay the pass of white down, usually double strike and have dry time prior to the color passes. So its ridiculously slow.

Finally, color profiling is apparently really difficult.

I have yet to hear a good white ink experience on the Mimaki users group or here. I am glad I was talked out of it.

I just sub out stuff with white to people with thermal printers.

Goodgirl

Got an email from Grimco- Mimaki JV33-130 54” Solvent Printer $13,595;

Mimaki JV33-160 62” Solvent Printer $14,595

I've got that price beat and have support and supplies to back it up. Anyone interested please let me know.

Goodgirl

Well, speaking from the experience of my peers on JV3s, its a nightmare. I wanted to do it for printing on decals on clear and was talked out of it pretty quickly. This is an abbreviated version of the reasoning I received.

Firstly, you waste most of your ink because whenever the pump runs (cleaning cycles etc.) it pulls from all the heads. So if you only print white once in a blue moon, you'll find that most of your ink is now in the waste ink container despite almost never being used for printing.

Secondly, you have to lay the pass of white down, usually double strike and have dry time prior to the color passes. So its ridiculously slow.

Finally, color profiling is apparently really difficult.

I have yet to hear a good white ink experience on the Mimaki users group or here. I am glad I was talked out of it.

I just sub out stuff with white to people with thermal printers.

This is true in most cases. White ink has a different thickness to the ink because of the titanium in it. In most machines you will hear that you need to stir up the ink every so often so it doesn't get clogged in the cartridge. White ink should be used a lot if you are looking for your machine to work properly. If you only have a need for white ink a couple times a week or a month then you may want to think about just using the CMYK instead.

I've seen Rolands and Mimaki heads clog up because of the lack of white being used. It is true that much of the white ink goes to waste if you aren't using it. Please keep this in mind if you haven't found a niche with it yet.

If you plan on using the white ink all the time then seriously it does work and it does look great! But it should be used almost all the time or it just isn't worth the price in ink.

Good Luck!

signage

Goodgirl is it true that the white ink must be laid down first and must dry before adding colors?

Goodgirl

It dries as it comes out of the machine and then it pulls it right back in and repeats the process with the color ink. It doesn't have to cure or anything until after the image is completely finished.

If someone is really looking to do white ink I personally would suggest a flatbed because of the UV curing that happens. It speeds up the process and there is not much discharge of white ink afterwards. (I realize the massive price difference, but it's just my opinion.)

Goodgirl

Oops sorry! Yes the white ink prints first and then goes right back into the machine and has the colors print onto the white. Just in case I didn't make that clear in the last post.

signage

How is the registration on these prints being it prints the white area first and then pulls the material back to print the rest? I have also heard that running white shortens head life is this true?

Goodgirl

I have not seen any evidence of the head life being shortened as long as the owner takes normal care of the machine. Although the clogging does happen if the white ink isn't being used for long periods of time.

As for the registration marks... those are printed at the same time the color is laid down. I'm sure the next question will be "How does it know where to print the color on top of the white without having the registration marks?" The file that is sent to the printer reminds the printer where to begin the job again for the color to be laid down.

iSign

another point, not yet mentioned is speed.
It may seem obvious, but for those who may not have considered it... if the white is just a novelty that gets occassional use, you should be aware that a dual cmyk set-up will priint twice as fast as a single set of cmyk inks (regardless of lc, lm or white)
If the vast majority of printing will be 4-color work... that double speed amounts to a lot of time saved over a month or year

ColesCreations

DO NOT BUY WHITE FOR MIMAKI!!

Unless needing it often.

We did, cartridges were close to $100 each, and half the size of CMYK, we thought we needed it, but cartridges were empty before using it once. Then had a hell of a time getting it running again with cleaning solution in the white head. (JV3)

There are ways of getting white without printing it, that folks on this forum has explained to us, we're just waiting for LCLM to run out, so we can convert to dual CMYK.

Goodgirl

I've got that price beat and have support and supplies to back it up. Anyone interested please let me know.

In regards to my post on pricing. I no longer have these machines at the show special price.They are all spoken for. IF you have any questions about the machines themselves you are more then welcome to ask.

Thank you!

I

ilevelsign

Had mine 4 over a week now and it has not stopped running.Amazing machine.I am using 4 color on the inks i realy don't see much scope for the white.