Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimaki misfire help

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by JoeMedia, Sep 27, 2012.

1. JoeMedia

JoeMedia New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Hi,
    We have a CJV30 and are having a heck of a time getting all the nozzels to fire correctly. All the nozzels were firing correctly except the black. There was a entire line not firing causing banding in the black. It was suggested we change out the cap and pump which we did today. After changing them out, we did a complete discharge and clean. Some of the nozzels came back in the black but others are now out. We now have misfires in the cyan as well as some new in the black. Also, when we print now there seems to be some "ink trail" (which the manual calls satellite) on the beginning and end of the print line. I keep doing hard cleans and nozzle washes and it's gotten a little better but something is still not right. Any ideas? I'm going crazy here trying to figure this one out. Should I just call in a Mimaki tech? I'm in Erie, PA and I can't seem to find one anyway. Any recommendations would be greatly weolcomed.
    Thanks

Tags:
  2. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Did you check your dampers, manybe one of them has a leak

3. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    set a nozzle wash and power-down the machine overnight.
    come back in the a.m., do a strong cleaning, and a fill up ink, and try a test print again.

if that doesn't work.... you may have broken the manifold between the damper/printhead or even simpler, an empty print cartridge thats still registering as useable.

4. Tekkie1

Tekkie1 Tekkie of Many Things

Apr 27, 2012
    Australia
    What Inks are you running?
    genuine Mimaki or aftermarket?
    Tekkie1
    :wink:

5. JoeMedia

JoeMedia New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks everyone for your input. I just pulled the black damper and it looks like it's leaking. I can't tell if it's the manifold or the damper but something isn't right. Anyone know what would cause them to fail? We've only run Mimaki ES3 inks since day one. I just ordered a new set of dampers from Grimco so hopefully that fixes the problem. Thanks again.
    Joe

6. SightLine

SightLine Very Active Member

Dampers are a consumable. They wear out and really should be replaced at least once a year. Same with the capping top.....

If the manifold is leaking then you have a bigger job to replace that. If that is cracked or damaged it must be replaced which requires removing the printhead itself.

7. JoeMedia

JoeMedia New Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Thanks for the heads up Sightline. I'm looking closer at the black damper and I'm pretty sure that's the culprit. Fingers crossed.
    Thanks again,
    Joe