• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki or HP?

bjmillard

Hi all, we are looking at getting a new printer mainly for high quality POS printing. requirements are high quality print mainly on self adhesive vinyl, digifilm (ferrous paper) and duratran with high density - we mainly buy in lambda duratrans which have a really high density of colour - the current duratrans we run in house are quite washed out due to not having the density of ink but a supplier can run digital duratrans on a HPZ6200 giving great dense blacks almost on par with the lambda versions

we currently are running 2x eco solvent rolands xj-640 and xj-740 and also 2x mimaki CJV30-30 and CJV30-130 which are great (although the mimaki is very slow which is an issue when running production)

so the question is what would you guys recommend based on the above requirements

have had suggestions of MIMAKI JV33-130 and a HPZ6200

thanks Ben

Letterbox Mike

As much as I love my JV33 I don't love it for backlit printing, it's not it's strong suit. And actually, as much as I hate my Epson GS6000, one thing it does do very well is backlit prints, so of those two I'd steer you to the Epson. I have no experience with the HP Z-series but I have seen samples off of them and they do great at printing backlits. Backlit samples off of the HP latex printers also seem to look great.

C

ColoPrinthead

As much as I love my JV33 I don't love it for backlit printing, it's not it's strong suit. And actually, as much as I hate my Epson GS6000, one thing it does do very well is backlit prints, so of those two I'd steer you to the Epson. I have no experience with the HP Z-series but I have seen samples off of them and they do great at printing backlits. Backlit samples off of the HP latex printers also seem to look great.
I've always been told that the GS inks don't do well on backlit, is this completely false? What type of media do you use?

Uwe Fischer

We use both, JV33s for vinyls, sometimes for banner and the HPs for - absolutely excellent - backlits and prints on Photopapers for indoor. Perfekt printer for backlits.

Letterbox Mike

I've always been told that the GS inks don't do well on backlit, is this completely false? What type of media do you use?

I've always been happy with the backlit output of our GS. It's nowhere near as good as anything off a lightjet but for solvent it's really pretty good. We've used Sihl and Magic backlit films, translucent self-adhesive vinyl and clear mounted to translucent substrates, all of which look very good. A good profile is necessary and we double-strike the prints, but on the GS they don't come out overly dark when double printed so it works out okay.

Still judging my the samples I've seen, I'd say an aqueous HP is probably a better solution if that's all you plan to run, but as far as solvent machines go the Epson is a contender.

bjmillard

thanks for the info guys - good to hear it from the horses mouth rather than sales teams who will always be a little biased. have got a few samples being printed on each so will hopefully make a decision soon

KevSign

Latex L25 & L26 great for backlit too. I was you add Latex L26 that will take care for your backlit and indoor poster paper.

We recently replace 6yr old HP z6100 with Canon IPF9400s (lease only $177 for 3yr with $1 buy out). Just for indoor high quality photo some clients still like best quality.

bjmillard

what are the pros and cons of latex - have heard contrasting views - both hp and mimaki are around £12k new inc setup RIP software etc where wont get equivalent latex for anywhere near that