Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Review Mimaki UCJV300-160 vs Mutoh 1682SR

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by chrism, Jan 13, 2020.

1. chrism

chrism New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Kansas
    We are looking at purchasing our first printer for the shop. I have ran a Roland XR-640 in the past so I have some experience with the Eco Solvent inks. I went to printing united to look at some of the new printers that are out. I took a look at the Mimaki UCJV 300 and liked the variety of materials you are able to print on and if you ink it up with the 200 series inks you are able to do wraps. While I was there I also looked at the Mutoh 1682 SR and was pretty impressed with the machine. There are times that we have a quick turn around and that's what has me leaning towards the UCJV. Curious if there is anyone out there that has either machine and could tell me if there is anything I need to watch out for or need to know about.

Tags:
  2. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Any reason you are not checking out latex, if you are doing wraps I would stay away from UV. Mutoh machines are good, but its solvent and lots of wasted inks and time cleaning your machine everyday.

3. chrism

chrism New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Kansas
    I have looked into the latex. I found that service after the warranty period can be very pricy and takes a while to have them come out. I've heard this from multiple HP owners.

4. chrism

chrism New Member

Jan 9, 2020
    Kansas
    I feel wraps may only be a small portion of our business. Mostly decals, banners and window perf.

5. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    The Mutoh is a brand new model which means you won't get too many reviews yet. Mutoh printers are generally solid though. As BigFish said, UV hasn't really proven itself yet in the wrap market. The UCJV is a great machine but that would be one concern for sure.

6. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    We got a UCJV and are liking it so far. We got the LUS 170 ink (cmyklclm) with LUS 200 white. We were also coming from Roland printers so a bit of a learning curve that way, Roland and Mimaki do things quite differently.
    It's been working great for us so far and have about 6k sq.ft. run through it so far. Banners are awesome as you can take them right off and finish them.
    Same with solid coverage prints, but you have to watch out for silvering when laminating due to UV ink, and keep in mind the thickness of the ink. Anything with, say, a white background and spot text or light coverage we'll still run on our XR-640 since the raised ink doesn't play well with laminates, even cast. Vehicle graphics and permanent signs we still run on the Roland too.
    To summarize, we're very happy with it but wouldn't want to be without a solvent roll to roll or flatbed UV as well to cover all the bases.

• Like Like x 2
  7. premiercolour

premiercolour A Mutoh, Mimaki dealer for sales and services

LUS 170 CMYKLcLM + LUS200 WH? Is there a reason why you opt for this setup? Pretty cool to hear that.

8. Superior_Adam

Superior_Adam Member

Dec 13, 2017
    Wichita, Kansas
    I would be careful with Perf on a UV machine. We have run into the issue where the ink is thick enough that it will fill the holes and not stay on the transfer when applied. We have UV, Latex and Eco solvent machines as they all serve a different purpose and we can chose the best option for each job.

• Like Like x 1
  9. BigfishDM

BigfishDM Merchant Member

Jun 22, 2009
    All Over
    Probably because their is only 1 White ink and that is LUS200.

10. premiercolour

premiercolour A Mutoh, Mimaki dealer for sales and services

There are LUS120, LH100, LUS150, LUS170, LUS200 white ink. Each bottle comes with unique chip.