• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Mimaki UJF 7151 Plus Carriage Slams Violently

GHardie

Hi Everyone,
First off, I'm new to the forum so please let me know if I messed anything up here.

Anyway, last week our UJF 7151 Plus developed a pretty alarming bug. I was not in the shop when it first happened but I was told that after the second print of the day, instead of the carriage coming to its home position normally, it went full speed all the way and crashed HARD into the right side of the printer.

After I got in I was able to get the printer to boot back into normal operation mode and actually perform ONE test print with no issue. It was after the SECOND test print that the issue reared its ugly head again. the second test print appeared to go as normal until the time when it would normally come to the home position. Here is a video of the second test print (right side panel is removed here) https://d.pr/v/GFyIj0

So far I have inspected all belts involved with the y-axis( they look fine to my eye), cleaned and lubed the rail and cleaned the encoder strip. None of which have resolved the issue. I also have a new y motor timing belt and new y motor on the way.

We are working with a tech on this, but It could be a while for an in-person visit so I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has seen a similar problem.

Thanks!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I had a Mimaki JFX200 do this once and the motor ended up fixing it. That motor looks very similar if not exactly the same as the JFX200. One other thing I would maybe try is cleaning or replacing the Y-Origin sensor. It's what tells the machine it's in the home area.

GHardie

I had a Mimaki JFX200 do this once and the motor ended up fixing it. That motor looks very similar if not exactly the same as the JFX200. One other thing I would maybe try is cleaning or replacing the Y-Origin sensor. It's what tells the machine it's in the home area.
Thanks for the suggestion, we have a Y motor arriving tomorrow, fingers crossed that does the trick. Hadn't thought of the Origin sensor, that will definitely be my next step if the motor doesn't resolve it

hand851

Roland Mutoh & Mimaki inks digiprint-parts.com
When it was installed did the tech back up the parameters? I suggest you reload current Firm Ware and the parameters.If the motor doesn't fix this.

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I'm not sure of how similar this is to the way that mimaki sets up their large format printers but I'm guessing that they our fairly close. Our JV150 did the same thing one week out of warranty (of course) and after trying everything it ended up being the main board. We figured it was the home sensor, messed up encoder, scan motor, etc but none of those fixed it. I guess the good thing was that it got almost a complete makeover in the process...

QUOTE="GHardie, post: 1462213, member: 81060"]Hi Everyone,
First off, I'm new to the forum so please let me know if I messed anything up here.

Anyway, last week our UJF 7151 Plus developed a pretty alarming bug. I was not in the shop when it first happened but I was told that after the second print of the day, instead of the carriage coming to its home position normally, it went full speed all the way and crashed HARD into the right side of the printer.

After I got in I was able to get the printer to boot back into normal operation mode and actually perform ONE test print with no issue. It was after the SECOND test print that the issue reared its ugly head again. the second test print appeared to go as normal until the time when it would normally come to the home position. Here is a video of the second test print (right side panel is removed here) https://d.pr/v/GFyIj0

So far I have inspected all belts involved with the y-axis( they look fine to my eye), cleaned and lubed the rail and cleaned the encoder strip. None of which have resolved the issue. I also have a new y motor timing belt and new y motor on the way.

We are working with a tech on this, but It could be a while for an in-person visit so I just wanted to reach out and see if anyone here has seen a similar problem.

Thanks![/QUOTE]