Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mimaki ?

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by printmaster, Jul 25, 2008.

1. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Hello,

being completely new to these forums i will probably
    sound funny to most of you with my questions !

I have been in the printing business for a decade now, but
    offset print and small format digital print (Indigo).
    After the huge demand for outdoor advertising by our existing
    clientele we have decided to make the move to large format
    digital printing.

Our target business is car-wrapping, window stickers and posters.

How long can it take for someone to become capable of wrapping
    a vehicle completely ?

We are considering the JV-33 or JV-5.
    Don't know about cutter yet....

Mimaki has good tech support in our area and is considered by many to
    be best in its class.
    But is it the best choice for us ? Any advice or opinions will be highly
    appreciated.

Tags:
  2. JulieVan

JulieVan New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    I would suggest Signmart. I saw both Mimaki and Signmart at the Long Beach convention center and had approached both large format printer distributors on their products. Mimaki is a very high-quality brand, but I noticed that Signmart also had an emphasis on displaying vehicle wraps.

3. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Mimaki has good tech support in our area and is considered by many to
    be best in its class.

We bought a Mimaki last year, the tech guy was here for a week triyng to get the colors right and failed miserably.
    We wound up doing it ourself with better results!

4. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Thank you for the quick reply.
    I'll check if Signmart has a dealer in my country.

5. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    SebastienL

Ok, but are you happy with the machine itself? Which Mimaki ?

6. JulieVan

JulieVan New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    You're welcome, but I still think that Mimaki is of a good quality...but I noticed you were asking about alternatives. Just throwing out some suggestions. What software program do you use normally?

7. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    JulieVan

We mainly use the adobe CS

8. JulieVan

JulieVan New Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Mmmm Adobe, the ultimate norm of sign-making design :) I think Signmart uses EasySign when they distribute their printers with software bundles. When I asked about Mimaki, I swear the representative told me they bundle their printers with either Flexi or SignLab...I don't remember. Be sure to check end user prices! They make a difference! :)

9. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    JulieVan

You see I wouldn't know since I'm new to this, but we don't really intend to
    focus on actual signs but more on wraps, posters and window stickers as that's
    the demand our clients have.
    I thought it was possible to use e.g. pdf, eps, tiff etc for these purposes.

10. Pro Signs & Graphix

Pro Signs & Graphix Very Active Member

Apr 18, 2006
    Check your PM for a contact near you.

11. SebastienL

SebastienL Active Member

Jul 14, 2008
    Yes, sinced it as been set-up properly. I have nothing to say about the printer, it's a good workhorse.
    :corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog::corndog:

12. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    I have the Mimaki JV3-160spII and I get excellent colour from it, but I also make my own profiles. But the machine and tech surport are second to none here in Chicago.

Are you in Greece or Turkey?

13. insignia

insignia Very Active Member

We run the daylights out of our JV3 and have had zero issues with it (well, over a quarter-million square feet later and we just lost our first nozzle about a week ago, can't tell, prints still look awesome). It's fast enough if you're not an ultra-high-volume shop, color and print quality rock, and it seems to be alot more heavy-duty than other printers in it's price range. Bundle it with Onyx or Wasatch and you'll be happy. I've got little first hand experience with anything but Onyx, but I've seen and heard some nightmare stories about using Flexi as a RIP (and I've heard little if any positive things about it). We use Onyx and wouldn't get rid of it for anything.

That said, I don't know as much about the JV33 which replaced the JV3, and I'm sure there are some bugs to be worked out of it as it's a new model, but I've heard good things and have seen prints off of one, they look as good as our JV3 prints.

If you're starting out, the JV5, while an awesome printer, especially for the price, is probably overkill for your intended purpose, it's meant for high-volume production. For the cost of the JV5 alone, you can probably get a JV33, RIP computer, Onyx, a good plotter, a pile of media and ink, some wrap classes, and still have quite a bit left over.

The most important thing, no matter what printer you buy, is to buy it from a company that will be there to support you and service you properly. These things are finicky, there is a steep learnign curve, and you're going to need to lean on someone heavily at first. That's what your dealer is (or should be) for, so do as much homework on who you buy from as you do on what you buy.

14. Graphix Plus Ink

Graphix Plus Ink Member

Mar 11, 2007
    I agree but man that machine is a MONSTAH. I prefer Roland but MAAAAAAN if you got the money buy it, it more than likely is the fastest in its class.

15. Case

Case Member

Jul 21, 2004
    IN
    JV33 is a great machine... All the bugs are worked out... Stay away from the JV5... Trust me....

Case

16. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Insignia

Thank you for your words of wisdom !
    One thing that worries me about the JV33 is the fact that all heads are
    included in one, by what they told me if you have a problem with e.g. the Cyan head you must replace all of them.

17. Rooster

Rooster Very Active Member

Feb 22, 2008
    Edmonton
    While it's not listed as a user serviceable part it's supposed to be fairly easy to replace. I haven't had to touch mine.

Once it's out of warranty the cost of replacement can be quiet high, but if you google "Epson D5X solvent print head" you'll find them for sale online much cheaper than through your Mimaki dealer.

18. Case

Case Member

Jul 21, 2004
    IN
    That head is one of the most durable heads that I have see out there. Same head in the Mutoh Valuejet.

You can choose other printers like an HP9000 with 6 heads@$2000 each or you can choose a JV33 with 1 head @$2000.... Your choice if you are worried....

Case

19. printmaster

printmaster Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Thank you all for your input and advice, this website is totally priceless
    since I seem to get answers I have been searching for for months !!!