• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Minimum Charge

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
Bob, you are correct, that is not a shop minimum. His true shop minimum is $25.

His and my real point was that each process has a minimum based on all the steps it takes from taking the order to invoicing. And everyone should have a basic understanding what these are for all sign types. These numbers allow us to qualify the typical walk-in customer. That way we find out if they are serious or not. If they aren't serious we save 10 or 15 minutes beating around the bush and get back to producing profitable signs.

But, your goal shouldn't be to get rid of small jobs as fast as possible. It would be better to go a step further and create a 3-tier pricing system for each type of sign or graphic you produce. That way you're not stressing minimums and instead qualifying your customers.

When dealing with customers you have to be careful what thoughts are going through your head. If you’re thinking "I don't have time to deal with this." Our shop minimum is "X". "I hope they just go away." They will pick up on that. Instead, ask them what they need and explain your pricing and how far out you are. If it's not a fit, guide them to a shop your friendly with that has similar pricing. That way your pricing isn't out of the norm and you've been helpful. When they talk to their friends you’re not a jerk.

Typically, we create these minimums or tiered systems based on the calls we get. "How much for a vehicle wrap?"

I'm not going to sit down and figure out the square feet of vinyl needed and judge the difficulty of install to come up with a price on your 2008 dodge caravan until I qualify you. Instead, a typical car, truck or van would be between $2200 - $3000 depending on the complexity and amount of window pref. That doesn't include any design or layout. If they freak out they were probably taking about cut vinyl not a full wrap so you better change gears really quick.

Another component of this process is that the medium size shops need to set some guidelines for their employees. Let’s face it, if you’re going to grow or build a true business and not just a job, some of your employees will need to be able to quote jobs as well. Setting these minimums helps make sure you stay profitable as they learn.

Setting a true shop minimum will be a blessing and could be a curse depending on your ability to read customers. Truly cheap customers usually are the biggest pain in the rear and waste more time haggling and complaining than they are worth. In 22 years I have fired 3 or 4 customers like that. Even if you're good at sales you will lose a few great customers by enforcing shop minimums, so be careful.

If you have a shop minimum spend a few minutes with the customer before enforcing it. And, if you choose to enforce it help them find a solution. Consider those few extra minutes part of your advertising budget.

If your shop or sign type minimum isn't based on facts, it will come off as arrogant as Bob stated, and that’s bad advertising.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Well, with my shop minimum (again, not for big good customers) I am nice about it and advise them we could add some other products to reach that minimum. Two sets of magnets, pack of 10 coros or business cards. I appreciate all the responses. Wasn't what I thought I would hear so I'm glad I asked you guys.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Bob, you are correct, that is not a shop minimum. His true shop minimum is $25.

His and my real point was that each process has a minimum based on all the steps it takes from taking the order to invoicing. And everyone should have a basic understanding what these are for all sign types. These numbers allow us to qualify the typical walk-in customer. That way we find out if they are serious or not. If they aren't serious we save 10 or 15 minutes beating around the bush and get back to producing profitable signs....

You don't have a minimum either, you have prices.

On weekends I compete in various team penning and ranch sorting events. Some of the venues have this or that arbitrary rule and the reason given is always 'insurance requirements'. This is, like a shop minimum, is a convenient way out of just saying 'those are the rules that we have' and, for shop minimums, a way of avoiding saying "I don't want to deal with your small piddling job." Grow a pair and just say it, don't hide behind some rationalization designed to protect you from taking responsibility for yourselves.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You don't have a minimum either, you have prices.

On weekends I compete in various team penning and ranch sorting events. Some of the venues have this or that arbitrary rule and the reason given is always 'insurance requirements'. This is, like a shop minimum, is a convenient way out of just saying 'those are the rules that we have' and, for shop minimums, a way of avoiding saying "I don't want to deal with your small piddling job." Grow a pair and just say it, don't hide behind some rationalization designed to protect you from taking responsibility for yourselves.

Yes tell the customer I dont want your piddly crap job, thats much better then "Sorry, our policy is such and such". You win customer service award

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yes tell the customer I dont want your piddly crap job, thats much better then "Sorry, our policy is such and such". You win customer service award

But that's exactly what you mean, isn't it? Heaven forfend you should be honest when you have your convenient 'shop minimum' scapegoat to protect you from having to do so.

Your policy? Does any organism in the galaxy save yourself and any employees you might have give two ounces of desiccated bandicoot smegma what your policies might be? Or not be?

I don't do customer service, I do signs. Need a sign? Come see me. Need your delicate sensibilities stroked? Take it to the nest of inept doofi down the road. They do schlock work but they'll make you feel good.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
But that's exactly what you mean, isn't it? Heaven forfend you should be honest when you have your convenient 'shop minimum' scapegoat to protect you from having to do so.

Your policy? Does any organism in the galaxy save yourself and any employees you might have give two ounces of desiccated bandicoot smegma what your policies might be? Or not be?

I don't do customer service, I do signs. Need a sign? Come see me. Need your delicate sensibilities stroked? Take it to the nest of inept doofi down the road. They do schlock work but they'll make you feel good.

I'm thankful there are business people like you out there, you make customer acquisition easier for me.

Johnny Best

I'm thankful there are business people like you out there, you make customer acquisition easier for me.

Well if I am a customer I would go to bob. You get to hear words like Bandicoot smegma and he is honest to me. Not like the inept doofi down the road charging me $175 for a 4" Calvin peeing sticker that I could find online for $4 plus shipping.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Well if I am a customer I would go to bob. You get to hear words like Bandicoot smegma and he is honest to me. Not like the inept doofi down the road charging me $175 for a 4" Calvin peeing sticker that I could find online for $4 plus shipping.

Not to mention, affordable Mounds bars.

When you have a $125.00 minimum....... how would one know you are worth that, anyway, doofi ?? If I hadda pay $125.00 for my daughter's bitrhday banner, I'd probably feel like I am contributing to your meth addiction problems. Come up with all the reasons you want doofi, but ya need to be honest...... or your reputation goes right down the drain, along with your shop minimum.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

Yes Mr. Badicoot Smegma, I can make you 175 Pee decals for our shop minimum.... or would you like some Pee magnets or business cards to go with that order? How bout you really get your message out there and we make a 4'x8' Pee banner?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Yes Mr. Badicoot Smegma, I can make you 175 Pee decals for our shop minimum.... or would you like some Pee magnets or business cards to go with that order? How bout you really get your message out there and we make a 4'x8' Pee banner?

Do you even realize how phony and contrite that sounds ?? You sound more like you're begging then upselling. You ought to take some courses or lessons in selling, doofi. You might be fooling people in your area, but that wouldn't fly anywhere else, unless you were working at a fast food place..... wanna super-size that, mister ?? Hey, I can give you a free dessert with that, just spend more money. I'll give ya all the free sh!t you want for $125.00, but I need $125.00 and that's all that's to it.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Do you even realize how phony and contrite that sounds ?? You sound more like you're begging then upselling. You ought to take some courses or lessons in selling, doofi. You might be fooling people in your area, but that wouldn't fly anywhere else, unless you were working at a fast food place..... wanna super-size that, mister ?? Hey, I can give you a free dessert with that, just spend more money. I'll give ya all the free sh!t you want for $125.00, but I need $125.00 and that's all that's to it.

Congrats on picking up on the sarcasm. You get an A today!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Congrats on picking up on the sarcasm. You get an A today![/QUOTE

Thank you. Once you offer anything worthwhile, we can begin grading you, huh doofi ?? Right now, you well under the radar.

That was not anything near sarcasm. You tried, but failed. Your efforts are so silly, it takes a real DOOFI not to see through it.

Talk later........ going out and decorating for Christmas. Anything else, before I leave ??